• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular recommendations??? (1 Viewer)

gracwalk

United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm looking into upgrading my binoculars but I'm relatively new to the world of birding and the amount of options and information for binoculars is overwhelming.
I currently only own a pair of Hontry 10x25 compact binoculars that I was kindly given for my birthday and after a year of the hobby i think its good time for an upgrade.
My budget is £100 - £150 (broke student so any recommendations kind on the wallet is greatly appreciated), however I do see people spending £1000+ on these things and I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to see a big enough upgrade with my budget for it to be worth it?? Is it worth also looking at second hand options?
Again I'm fairly new to all this and have no exact request for my binoculars apart from being a decent all-rounder if that makes sense lol

My first serious binos were about £200 (Pentax and Vortex). When I tried some higher-price options, though, I soon accepted the idea of spending much more. Once you experience the expensive types and train your eyes to see the difference in light performance, AFOV, chromatic aberration, and things like that, your standards for what is 'acceptable' to your eyes can change. So there's probably some good sense in the idea of not even trying anything that you can't afford, because its very possible that you're going to want it. That was my experience, anyway. Don't pick up an NL Pure or Zeiss Victory unless you have £2000+ 'to spare'. I'm far from wealthy, and a ridiculous percentage of my income goes on optics these days.

That said, I would recommend trying Vortex Diamondbacks. That's not going to break the bank, and will be a fantastic all-rounder. You can find them second-hand on eBay sometimes (for about £150+).

I think you have the binoculars in the picture attached. They are kind of nice and easy to use. I enjoy using them for casual birding because I simply like them. However, the unit I got had the power of x7 even though it is mentioned x10 on the website and the binoculars itself. So you will see more details even with x8 power. As @Will K suggested Vorted Diamondbacks are very fine binoculars. However, I had a problem with them as I saw a bright ring around the FOV which is confirmed by one other BF member. So it is better to try them before buying them or buy from a shop with a free return option. Nikon P7 is another budget-friendly option. However, so far I haven't tried it out. However, I would like to suggest you to save some more money and buy a pair of binoculars in the range of 250-350. Nikon M7 and GPO Passion ED are fine binoculars at that range and you will not miss much with them even compared to much more expensive binoculars. As an example, I don't miss much when I use my Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 even though I have an NL 8x42. If your budget is really restricted my suggestion would be a porro prism binocular such as Kowa Fernglas YFII 8x30. I hope my two cents will help you to make your decision.
71pmU52jKqL._AC_SL1487_.jpg

Hi,
I'm looking into upgrading my binoculars but I'm relatively new to the world of birding and the amount of options and information for binoculars is overwhelming.
I currently only own a pair of Hontry 10x25 compact binoculars that I was kindly given for my birthday and after a year of the hobby i think its good time for an upgrade.
My budget is £100 - £150 (broke student so any recommendations kind on the wallet is greatly appreciated), however I do see people spending £1000+ on these things and I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to see a big enough upgrade with my budget for it to be worth it?? Is it worth also looking at second hand options?
Again I'm fairly new to all this and have no exact request for my binoculars apart from being a decent all-rounder if that makes sense lol
I recommend seeing if you can find a Sightron Blue Sky 8x32 on the internet, as they are discontinued as far as I know. They are in the $150 USD range.

Also consider a Kowa YF II 8x30 in the $120 USD range.

I have both of those, and for the cost both have VERY good optical performance.

Hi,
If that is your budget? Here is the simple answer: I have three pairs of Sightron Blue SKy 8x32, and I love them - took mine around Africa and loved every view (and yes I own my own 1000 UK sterling + binoculars and scopes). SIGHTRON SII BL832 SIB230089 x8 32mm Roof Prism type Binoculars Waterproof New | eBay

"However, I would like to suggest you to save some more money and buy a pair of binoculars in the range of 250-350. Nikon M7 and GPO Passion ED are fine binoculars at that range, and you will not miss much with them, even compared to much more expensive binoculars. As an example, I don't miss much when I use my Nikon Monarch 7 8x30, even though I have an NL 8x42."

That is the best tip. If you can move up just a little in price, you gain a LOT in performance. There is no comparison between a Sightron Blue Sky 8x32 and a Nikon M7 8x30, and the M7 will not leave you wanting to upgrade as fast. The Sightron is an OK binocular for the price, but if you do much birding you are going to want to upgrade it fairly soon. It is noticeably darker and has less contrast than an M7.

Glad to see Monarch M7 and GPO Passion ED mentioned as I own a pair of each. M7s in 10x30 and GPOs in 8x32. Both excellent bins. Both my favourite pair 😄
I tend to take the M7s out more for the extra magnification, and they're also featherweight in the hand 🖤
That said, if I had to choose one pair only, I'd go for the GPO Passion ED in 10x32.

Last edited:
Navigating the world of binoculars can indeed be overwhelming, but with your budget, you can still find good options that offer a significant upgrade from your current pair. Here are some considerations and recommendations for binoculars within your price range:
Considerations:
A common configuration for birding binoculars is 8x42, where 8x is the magnification, and 42 is the diameter of the objective lenses in millimeters. This combination provides a good balance between magnification and light-gathering ability.
A wider field of view is generally beneficial for birding, as it allows you to observe a larger area at once. Look for binoculars with a field of view of at least 300 feet at 1,000 yards.
Consider the close focus distance, especially if you enjoy observing birds at close range. A shorter close focus distance is advantageous for observing nearby subjects.
Since you'll be carrying them for extended periods, consider the weight and size of the binoculars. Compact and lightweight models are often preferred for birding.
Recommendations:
  1. Nikon Prostaff 3S 8x42: Nikon offers reliable optics, and the Prostaff 3S is a well-regarded model within your budget.
  2. Celestron Nature DX 8x42: Celestron's Nature DX series provides good value for the money, offering decent optics for birding.
  3. Vortex Optics Crossfire HD 8x42: Vortex is known for its excellent warranty and customer service. The Crossfire HD is a popular model in your price range.
  4. Opticron Adventurer T WP 8x42: Opticron is a UK-based brand, and the Adventurer T WP series provides a waterproof and durable option within your budget

Users who are viewing this thread

Back