• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding round machu picchu (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Any time-saving advice on where to bird in limited time round Machu Picchu? Prob be staying in Aguas Calientes for 2 nights, so any directions to god patches would be really handy. Really struggling to make ebird useful in Peru in general, seems pretty random what people report from locations to me!

Hi Larry,

I visited Machu Picchu maybe 6 years ago, I took the bus up to the ruins and birded my way back down the road - I don't have time to dig out my notes at the moment but it was fairly productive, had brief views of Inca Wren near the entrance to the ruins, and was the best way I could find to bird the area on a single daytrip from Cuzco (I had taken the train in and out the same day).

Any time-saving advice on where to bird in limited time round Machu Picchu? Prob be staying in Aguas Calientes for 2 nights, so any directions to god patches would be really handy. Really struggling to make ebird useful in Peru in general, seems pretty random what people report from locations to me!

Larry was there in Sept with Gunnar's crew. Walk east down the south side of the river as far as the bridge over the river (where the fuckwit guards wouldn't allow our scopes across (which was a new situation for our guide)).

Along the railway track past the turn off to Machu Picchu was quite productive for me but best I think would be to walk down from the ruins (or up to them at dawn if you are fit enough) via the path that cuts across the zig-zag road.

Shocked to find that it was 12 1/2 years ago that I was there so my memory is pretty vague but the birding was good around the town and between the town and Machu Picchu. We regrettted only having one night there.

Hi Larry,

There are some productive feeders in the grounds of Inkaterra Macchu Picchu Pueblo Hotel. Even if you are not staying there they allow birders into the grounds for a small fee. There is a track that carrys on along the river and railway track that are really good.

Cheers

Alan

There are some productive feeders in the grounds of Inkaterra Macchu Picchu Pueblo Hotel. Even if you are not staying there they allow birders into the grounds for a small fee. There is a track that carrys on along the river and railway track that are really good.

Indeed, I was there this summer. We originally asked at reception, and they sent us on to their wildlife warden, where it took a short moment to explain what we were there for. They didn't even ask us to pay anything.

This would be a nice place potentially to bring your family - it's not far from town, and they could sit watching the feeders while you explore the trail more. There are two fruit feeders close to each other, and some hummingbird feeders a little more spaced out.

Of course you are in the grounds of a super pricy hotel, and one feels slightly out of place there, but this didn't cause any issues.

Andrea

Indeed, I was there this summer. We originally asked at reception, and they sent us on to their wildlife warden, where it took a short moment to explain what we were there for. They didn't even ask us to pay anything.

This would be a nice place potentially to bring your family - it's not far from town, and they could sit watching the feeders while you explore the trail more. There are two fruit feeders close to each other, and some hummingbird feeders a little more spaced out.

Of course you are in the grounds of a super pricy hotel, and one feels slightly out of place there, but this didn't cause any issues.

Andrea

I stayed there and never felt out of place....;) Andean Cock of the Rock while having morning coffee.

Cheers

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back