• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cock of the Rock spot (1 Viewer)

West End Birder

I achieved my goal of seeing a Cock of the Rock (in fact up to 7 males plus a female) and to be honest it wasn't very difficult.

So here is a tip if you want to see the national bird of Peru - and it is well worth seeing.

We stayed in the Inkaterra Hotel at Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu) and went on a guided walk at 6:30 am one morning. I explained to the guide that this was THE bird I wanted to see and he said it might not be easy. He then said we may hear them because they are noisy and did an impression. A few seconds later three males turned up! After the excellent guided walk, my wife and I walked around the gardens and encountered them several more times plus the female (also worth seeing).

So early morning in the grounds of that hotel seem a good place. Lots of other stuff too.

I guess that one is on the top (or near the top) of nearly everyone's wish list when going out there.

But you really exceeded expectations, didn't you. Well done - a day you won't forget WEB!!!

A right cracker of a picture that lad - any chance of posting it in the Gallery?

Not see one come in for a bit.

I need to download it first and as Iberia has lost my luggage I am not sure when I can get a cable, but yes will do as soon as I can, whereabouts do I post it, can you provide link if there is a specific location thanks!

I need to download it first and as Iberia has lost my luggage I am not sure when I can get a cable, but yes will do as soon as I can, whereabouts do I post it, can you provide link if there is a specific location thanks!
Oh no.... so sorry to hear about your luggage. What an absolute pain. Do you know if they've tracked it down yet?

To upload your picture to the Gallery, it's best if you resize it first most people seem to upload around 1-2000px on the longest side. You would need to post them in the Central and South America Category: Gallery

Users who are viewing this thread

Back