• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Machu Picchu / Aguas Calientes - October 2022 (1 Viewer)

AndyS56

Next stop on the trip was Machu Picchu. The following were seen within the hotel grounds where we stayed.
1. I would have gone for Rufous-bellied Hummingbird, but I believe they are very rare and I saw a number of these - or the same one many times.

Sorry but can't find any of the others in my somewhat limited "Birds of Peru" guide.

As always, help much appreciated.

TIA

Andy

Attachments

• _L3A6154.jpg
    _L3A6154.jpg
    502.4 KB · Views: 19
  • _L3A6171.jpg
    _L3A6171.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 18
  • _L3A6176.jpg
    _L3A6176.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 17
  • _L3A6201.jpg
    _L3A6201.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 16
  • _L3A6202.jpg
    _L3A6202.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 15
  • _L3A6218.jpg
    _L3A6218.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 16
  • _L3A6225.jpg
    _L3A6225.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 21
  • _L3A6241.jpg
    _L3A6241.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 21
  • _L3A6194.jpg
    _L3A6194.jpg
    776.7 KB · Views: 19
  • _L3A6235.jpg
    _L3A6235.jpg
    911.9 KB · Views: 18
A few more:
I think 6214 is the same as 6154 in my first post.

Attachments

• _L3A6194.jpg
    _L3A6194.jpg
    776.7 KB · Views: 7
  • _L3A6214.jpg
    _L3A6214.jpg
    902.5 KB · Views: 8
  • _L3A6099.jpg
    _L3A6099.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 8
I don't have a Peru field guide, but the first one (and second last) looks like a Chestnut-breasted Coronet. The bright red one looks like Hepatic Tanager. Soggy one with moth - Black Phoebe. 6235 -maybe Flame-faced or Saffron-crowned Tanager.

Perhaps check out local species of euphonias for photos No. 2, 5 & 13. Don't take my word for it because I've never seen any one of them in real life, but if I were to make a guess, I'd go for (apparently a Thick-billed Euphonia (female); see below), Thick-billed Euphonia (immature male) and Thick-billed Euphonia (adult male), respectively.

OK, I quite enjoy this guessing game, so let my have a shot at some of the other species. Correct me if I'm wrong (all info from Merlin Bird ID's likely species with Machu Picchu set as the location/Merlin's Start Bird ID function that returns a list of likely birds when given a description/photos from the Macaulay Library).

UPD:
1: Chestnut-breasted Coronet
2: (apparently a Thick-billed Euphonia (female); see below)
3: Silvery Tanager (male)
4: (apparently a Blue Dacnis; see below)
5: Thick-billed Euphonia (immature male)
6: Gould's Inca (adult male)
7: (apparently a Rufous-booted Racket-tail (female); see below)
8: Black Phoebe
9: Hepatic Tanager (adult male)
10: Saffron-crowned Tanager
11: Hepatic Tanager (adult male)
12: Chestnut-breasted Coronet
13: Thick-billed Euphonia (adult male)

Last edited:
Second attempt - I did briefly visit this location and one of the species that was found down by the river was Blue Dacnis. #4 maybe looks like the female of that species, although I saw only males.

Many thanks to you all for your help.

Once I knew what I was looking for, I believe that 13 is an Orange-bellied Euphonia. Also, a female Blue Dacnis makes perfect sense as I saw a male one at much the same time - attached.

Andy
Edit - now I've changed my mind to Thick-billed

Attachments

• _L3A6232.jpg
    _L3A6232.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I think that 2, 5 and 13 are Thick-billed Euphonias in different plumages (yellow chin, range).
Bird 7: Booted Racket-Tail, female (white moustache stripe, tail bluish white-tipped, buff utc)

Thank you all for your corrections. I have updated my first post accordingly. Merlin is a great resource, but its proper use requires experience, which I lack.
Apart from that, I think that there are two different Blue Dacnises in the photos, the difference being the presence of blue spots on the chest and belly. While the latter photo is most probably of a female, I think the former may be of an immature male because only males show blue colouration on the breast and belly in their adult plumage.

EDIT: There are only 45 photos of juvenile/immature male Blue Dacnises in all of eBird, so I assume it would at least be a nice find if confirmed.

Attachments

• _L3A6201.jpg
    _L3A6201.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 3
  • _L3A6232.jpg
    _L3A6232.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Many thanks to you all for taking the time and trouble to answer all my questions. It is really appreciated.

Seasons greetings,

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back