• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iquitos, Peru (Amazon) need help with ID please (1 Viewer)

ehowe14

Hello,

Apologies for the poor quality of these photos. I am attaching 2 photos of this bird, which I took in the Peruvian Amazon near Iquitos in July of last year. It appears to have blue on its head, with a black throat and white breast. Any ID help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4414.jpg
    IMG_4414.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4414 (1).jpg
    IMG_4414 (1).jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 48
Hello,

Apologies for the poor quality of these photos. I am attaching 2 photos of this bird, which I took in the Peruvian Amazon near Iquitos in July of last year. It appears to have blue on its head, with a black throat and white breast. Any ID help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

It's late here and I'm probably overlooking something obvious... The closest I could get was white-winged swallow. I don't believe the blue in the image is real: some photographic artefact or even foliage. Ditto the apparent black throat. But I'll be interested to see what others think

As someone who has never been to that part of the world and do not have an Argentina field guide -- that was exactly my reaction.

Niels

Agree it looks like a Swallow... and within that likely group, a White-winged seems a fair fit. Agreed the blue is certainly photo artifact. The black seems to be also but hard to be as confident.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back