• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck ID in NJ (1 Viewer)

ShlundoKyogre

United States
IMG_8825.JPG

IMG_8850.JPG

I was birding at a reservior near me and came across a large group of ducks. Using some of the duck identification I know I was able to spot a Bufflehead, Female Ruddy Duck, and what looks to be a Canvasback. I have also seen that there is Scaup's in this photo. Can someone please confirm these IDs for me and find if the Scaup in this photo is a Greater or Lesser? I know you can tell with the shape of the head, but I am no expert when it comes to waterbirds. Thank you for any help as it is much appreciated.

Best,
Shlundo

Hi ShlundoKyogre,
This is an international forum and what seems obvious to Americans may not be so to others. You and I know that NJ is New Jersey, but some on this forum will not. It is best to spell out the state name completely. I think you are safe enough with USA though. Cheers.

Also could the Canvasback be a hybrid Redhead to Canvasback as I did not see if it had the Canvasback's black bill as it had it's head tucked in. Is it's back to white to be a redhead or a hybrid? Thanks, Shlundo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back