• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Twitching scene in the US (1 Viewer)

Not quite twitching, but when I was at Point Pelee in 2008 during Spring Migration, it really struck me how different twitchers / birders were in Canada (Ok not the USA) compared to Brits.

Again, I acknowledge the scenario was slightly different, people weren't chasing after one rarity, there were literally goodies flitting all around, so you could more or less stay put instead of charging around like some people do (I've been guilty of this).

What struck me was how large numbers of teenagers were involved in this pass-time, and they really knew their stuff (listening for the occasional sound of a hidden Mourning Warbler for instance). Sometimes in the UK, you get the impression that 'us' twitchers are a bit nerdy, desperate beyond belief to see the species in question. Again, I've been one of them regularly :)-.

But the Canadian and American birders at Pelee seemed more chilled, though that may have been because there were good birds everywhere.

If you get the chance try and catch ‘Birders - the Central Park effect’:t:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2310157/

A charming little documentary covering both Spring migration and those engaged in observing it. I posted this in 15 minute segments on Youtube but it was removed by them after a couple of weeks. What it doesn’t cover is the cowardly attack on the elderly female who did the organising by some itinerant scumbag afterwards and sadly the lady passed away because of it:C

Laurie -

I've seen police at a twitch too . . . some policemen are good birders and want to see the bird as well :-O

I took an extended lunch break once to twitch a local White Stork.

I was parked fully off the road watching it when a police car pulled in behind me, expecting a ticking off for illegal parking I was pleased when the copper said 'do you mind if I look through your scope, I can't bring mine to work'

Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back