• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Windows update (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Had a real scare this morning. The Windows update got my screen onto Windows 10 (I think); whereas I have the Classic Shell of Windows 7.

It took off most of my desktop short cuts and all the links on the task bar; replacing them with ones they thought I should have. Firefox wanted me to log on with a p/w.... never had one. So tried to do one said it didn't match. When I tried again it said it was already in use!!! Pale Moon weren't co-operating either! And I couldn't get at my password manager!

So I thought I'd go onto my little tablet (which unfortunately has W8 on it). After a few minutes the keyboard froze. I managed to get up the on screen keyboard, and after about 6 letters that froze too! Not my morning was it.

Later when I went back to try my laptop again, I found it had been switched off and when I re-started, it was all normal!

What a relief.

So my question is, obviously my usual screen was there all the time, but how should I have been able to access it from the nightmare I'd found myself in?

Whenever Windows acts up a restart is a good first option. If it seems to be installing updates, then a good option is to leave it alone for a long while, then restart and hope the best.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back