• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The something or other 8x16! (1 Viewer)

CliveP

Ok was out today trying a new 8x25 I got and it's nothing special but it was good to be able to wear around the neck while cycling along.

So I'm sitting on a bench later trying them out and this guy going past asks if I've seen any interesting birds and I told him I was just trying out this new compact (Viking Vistron 8x25, not very sharp and chewing gum for focus grease otherwise pretty nice colours etc and I actually like it although it is limiting for birding but would make a great hike or travel/event bin). So he looks kind of excited and flashes his compact bin case and proclaims "like this you mean, I have one also". So I say great let me try hoping he has something good.

Well I couldn't see a damn thing trough them just a cloudy smudge with some sort of perhaps clearing in the centre and only in one side and after laughing I asked him if he could and he said sure. So I said try these and handed him the Viking which at least I could see quite well through so I expected him to notice quite a difference but no. He replies they seem about the same. At this point I thought ok this guy is an asylem escapee but we decided to have an impromptu test at a distant railway sign. I could just make out the number on it and he couldn't but he hunkered down and braced himself in a sort of ninja position against a fence in an effort to be able to steady himself so was clearly taking it pretty seriously.

It really made me laugh but at the same time it was so strange and I don't want to seem snobbish but truly the binocular he was using was so bad as to be pointless and yet I believe that he is happy with it and I suppose why not if he can't see any difference with a much better binocular which the Vistron is and it isn't spectacular in any way.

I still can't understand it but it's an absolutely true happening today. Can anyone else get this? He seemed a nice chap just out with his nice labrador dog for a walk. I don't think he was a lunatic but that certainly amazed me and I've met a lot of folks while out but never had that happen. I mean about £5 would buy a much better pair than he had and yet he really was happy with them. I only paid under £30 for the Vistron on auction. There is absolutely no way I would even consider letting the pair he had past the outdoor bin and into my house. I mean basically they were a binocular but I really have never ever seen anything so completely useless!

I really just don't get it. He's obviously not a serious user but even then I still don't get how he could actually see anything through them but apparently he could although he did say the lenses needed a clean which was a bit of an understatement.

Can anyone better that. What is the worst bin you have ever seen anyone using with them adamant of it's greatness? I was laughing with incredulity to much to take in what actual brand and model it was but I think it was a tiny 8x16 reverse porro of some years vintage.

I've had a good laugh about it but it sort of fries my brain also. People sure can surprise.

Last edited:
I had a brother-in-law who once proudly showed me a pair of (porro) binoculars he got for $50.

They were the absolute worst thing I ever looked through, so I decided that his eyesight must have been truly awful.

Pretty much first thing I asked him, did he need a eye checkup and he wore glasses but took them off to use his bin. Said he was quite short sighted in one eye so I'm guessing that was the completely opaque binocular side.

I couldn't even get them open enough with the ipd to see through both sides.

I have had another occasion with a guy with completely screwed collimation on a porro and he to extolled that they (Bressor) were one of the best makes available although he'd never heard of Swarovski when I let him try my 8x32 EL at the time but at least he conceded they were pretty good. I really don't think this guy today would have noticed any difference with the EL or found anything odd about that. Well I guess it's saving him some cash at least. About £5 for a better pair :))

Last edited:
I frequently wonder about individual eyesight, when I read here that "A" is just as good as "B", or that there is no significant difference between them.

To me, it just means that the differences are below that person's threshold. (not that there is anything wrong with that)

Maybe the lab was a guidedog8-P

Just kidding.

But really I couldn't even make out a tree or anything. Not even sure I could make out the skyline so I didn't waste much time on them. It was actually a really good simulation of what it must be like to have really bad cataracts!

I can understand they were a nice little compact to have in your pocket for a walk but I really just think this guy was deluding himself and set in his way and I'm sure it's probably very common.

If I didn't have better bins then I 'm sure I would think these Vistron were amazing although I'm even surprised by the fact that I like them at all with all the better bins I have but I am realistic and do factor in allowances for price and size etc. My new Sapphire 8x43 make all my other bins look like amateurs so I'm sort of trying to reserve it's use at the moment and when I do that my Kowa SV 8x32 seem amazing again especially after I have tried the Vistron so it is all relative but this guy couldn't see that his little bin wasn' t even a patch on the Vistron.

Denial. The mysteries of the mind.

Last edited:
Maybe the lab was a guidedog8-P

Just kidding.

But really I couldn't even make out a tree or anything. Not even sure I could make out the skyline so I didn't waste much time on them. It was actually a really good simulation of what it must be like to have really bad cataracts!

I can understand they were a nice little compact to have in your pocket for a walk but I really just think this guy was deluding himself and set in his way and I'm sure it's probably very common.

If I didn't have better bins then I 'm sure I would think these Vistron were amazing although I'm even surprised by the fact that I like them at all with all the better bins I have but I am realistic and do factor in allowances for price and size etc. My new Sapphire 8x43 make all my other bins look like amateurs so I'm sort of trying to reserve it's use at the moment and when I do that my Kowa SV 8x32 seem amazing again especially after I have tried the Vistron so it is all relative but this guy couldn't see that his little bin wasn' t even a patch on the Vistron.

Denial. The mysteries of the mind.

So, you save the better images for special occasions?

So, you save the better images for special occasions?

Actually I'm not sure what you mean buy that? I use whichever binocular I wish to use whenever I wish.

Yes, I'm working on how to reconcile my binocular mix (the 8x25 I must admit are handy when cycling as opposed to the 8x43) but the 8x43 Sapphire will definitely get plenty of use for many a year should I be around. If I have a fire I'm definitely saving the Sapphire and sod the rest but hopefully it will also become one of my other bins at some stage if they manage to improve on it even more and I then buy one of those to stash.

Probably though I should just get rid of all my other bins now but I do like them all and I do still like to use them all but the Sapphire 8x43 is undoubtedly the best and I sort of do wish that I could only use it always (which of course I could if I wished) but then I suppose it would come to seem quite ordinary then also.

Actually the little Vistron can produce something similar colour wise to the Sapphire especially to the 8x25 Sapphire I had briefly so I expect these brands have something in common with their Chinese origin.

Anyhow I wish my new friend today continued enjoyment with his binocular. Maybe next time we meet he will have another I can try. Can't wait for that. I hope I'm better prepared next time or better yet perhaps no next time or he surprises me with the latest and greatest whatever.

Ok Mal. Any other great comments lined up? Maybe save them for your dark recesses.

Last edited:
. Please don't mention Bresser.

As to the worst binocular I have ever seen, it was in the local Indian supermarket. It was in the glass case and marked at £10. I think it must be made in China, perhaps by a farmer or shoemaker. Mechanically it was falling apart. There were no tolerances, it was just completely wild. The bridge rocked about 30° or more each side.
This was being sold as a new binocular, and I've never seen any other binocular in any way nearly as bad, new or second hand.
I think it was marked as 10×50 and it was black. I hope I never see anything as bad again. This was about 10 years ago.

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers ............ carry on.

At least try and be clear Mal as to what you are getting at and think if your -what you may see as smart (the above could be an example) - comments may seem unfriendly to the recipient. We all have to and it makes for a better forum. I am of course also not without fault in this regard.

Maybe the forum should introduce an ignore comment and poster button below to the right but then I guess there would be a lot of ignored posts and posters. Lets all keep chipping away at it and focus on being pleasant and enjoying the opportunity this forum provides.

BTW as autumn arrives it will for sure be the Sapphire 8x43 brought out for maximum amazement. I guess a special occasion.

Last edited:
. Please don't mention Bresser.

So I just bought a pair of Bresser8-P

Really. Just won an 8x28 Everest Roof on the bay for £45 including post. There were no other bidders strangely?

And no-one bid on a similar 10x28 previously. I wonder why?

I think it's the narrow FOVs but since I liked my little Vistron so much for size and relaxed view (relatively, actually you would think you were looking through a larger bin especially on a bright day) I thought I would try this Bresser as it's only about 5mm longer and it would provide a bit more light and I was impressed by the 20 year guarantee and apparently also has a good close focus which the Diamondback 8x28 does not.

Will see. Just want something for cycling when I don't have the big bins and I find the view with the Hawke Frontier 8x25 to small and glare prone although bright and very sharp.

If the Bresser is no good then I'll just bin it and stick with the Vistron 8x25. If the Vistron had a smooth accurate focuser and some better transmission then it really would be a great all round very useful little 8x25 so it shows it could be done ( the focus works and the brightness is ok but both could be better, colour and glare/CA control are pretty good) but I'm not expecting any improvements as they seem to have discontinued it which is a pity as I have to say I actually prefer it now over my Hawke Frontier 8x25 PC and other 8x25's I have tried but the Hawke is still the only true folding pocket bin I have so I'll keep it in case or until I find something better.

It's a nice day so will head out again with the handy little Vistron. It came with a quality bungy neck strap so you really don't know you are wearing it and a practicle little case also. Excellent for £28 delivered but will the much more expensive £45 Bresser be better? I'm not entirely optimistic :eek!:

Last edited:
Clive,
They may have improved.
Here's hoping.

I calculated that it has a wider field than my Hawke, I think closer focus and is supposedly sharp across the view (what there is of it) and with full multi broadband coating so should have decent colour.

Anyway I think I might line them all up when I get the Bresser and take a pic as I was surprised at how much smaller the Vistron is than the M7 and even a bit shorter than the Hawke. The Vistron actually feels very nice in the hand and the eyecups fit very well to the eye. One of the barrels has a lot of little dust particles in there so it may have been a second or something, otherwise new and I think the grease maybe has dried out from lying around but out this evening in the sun it really works very well although still more tiring on the eyes eventually than a larger bin. The first bird I actually spotted with them yesterday was a Jay in a spot where I have not seen one before. The Vistron is 7 deg (122m) field and pretty much flat and sharp to the edge but it's very impressive how it's practically impervious to glare. It's my first of the Viking brand and it's a good first impression. Even the focus wheel is full size. It is like a mini Monarch 7 without the red bias and high dielectric prism transmission of the M7.

Funny how after all the bins I've bought and tried etc I could end up using a £28 Viking most of all when out and about.

Maybe that guy I met has infected me :eek!:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back