• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The best binoculars (1 Viewer)

I’d go along with Chuck on this one, a good 8x42 or 10x42 will be an excellent cover all the bases, all around binocular. After leaning if there is something else you want in an optic, you go from there. His suggestions are also excellent, I’d ad the Leica Noctivids, my favorites in 8x42, and the Vortex UHD is also a phenomenal Binocular , and is much the sleeper in this group of fine optics.
Yeah there are several other binoculars that could be included. I actually tried to keep my answer as short and sweet as possible. I considered binoculars that have been manufactured for a while(kinks worked out), should be available in Europe, eye-relief that would work with both the eyeglass wearer and non-eyeglass wearer, and a binocular that excels in ease of use. So I tried to pick a binocular from each of the big 3 that I thought kinda did all that! ;)

Deep down inside, you know Master Kan is right 99% of the time, grasshopper. You are like a rebellious child now, but as your knowledge increases, soon you will be able to grasp the pebble from my hand. But for now you have much to learn.
Like I said, you amuse me like a circus clown , you make me laugh, your funny. And lay off the booze Dennis.

Ok, so I've tried to do some research and read up on the suggestions, and the Canon 18x50 seems to be a good choice. Not that heavy, not to expensive and a good allrounder.
What do you think? Is there a clear contender I'm missing or something else?
And I really appreciate you being so patient with me. I don't really have a clue about this stuff but I'm starting to learn a little bit at least.

Ok, so I've tried to do some research and read up on the suggestions, and the Canon 18x50 seems to be a good choice. Not that heavy, not to expensive and a good allrounder.
And I really appreciate you being so patient with me. I don't really have a clue about this stuff but I'm starting to learn a little bit at least.
I think the issue you will run into with the 18x is the image stablization. From what I’ve read, the 18 basically maxes out the IS, making it tough to keep the image steady while handholding.

You mentioned you don’t know much about binoculars so here’s a brief breakdown of the shake issue:
The higher the magnification of a binocular, the more it magnifies the natural shake that you have in your hand. That’s why the I.S. becomes super valuable because it cancels out those natural shakes, enabling you to get a steady image in those higher mags.

BUT

There comes a certain point where the IS can only do so much, and if the mag is greater than the IS can handle, you end up getting a pretty shaky view. Which again, defeats the purpose of the IS in the first place.

So in my opinion, the more all-around high mag option for Canon would be the 15x50.

From my personal use with it, I’ve had no issues handholding. (The view isn’t perfectly still but is VERY steady.) It’s specs make it versatile enough for day and night, making it a good all-rounder for a high mag bino.

The only issue I have is the eyecups. They are a bit annoying to use, so you basically roll them back and use them that way which can be a bit of a balancing act.

But besides that, I believe the 15x should be plenty of zoom for just about every situation day and night.

Those are my thoughts - hope it helps 👍

I think the issue you will run into with the 18x is the image stablization. From what I’ve read, the 18 basically maxes out the IS, making it tough to keep the image steady while handholding.

You mentioned you don’t know much about binoculars so here’s a brief breakdown of the shake issue:
The higher the magnification of a binocular, the more it magnifies the natural shake that you have in your hand. That’s why the I.S. becomes super valuable because it cancels out those natural shakes, enabling you to get a steady image in those higher mags.

BUT

There comes a certain point where the IS can only do so much, and if the mag is greater than the IS can handle, you end up getting a pretty shaky view. Which again, defeats the purpose of the IS in the first place.

So in my opinion, the more all-around high mag option for Canon would be the 15x50.

From my personal use with it, I’ve had no issues handholding. (The view isn’t perfectly still but is VERY steady.) It’s specs make it versatile enough for day and night, making it a good all-rounder for a high mag bino.

The only issue I have is the eyecups. They are a bit annoying to use, so you basically roll them back and use them that way which can be a bit of a balancing act.

But besides that, I believe the 15x should be plenty of zoom for just about every situation day and night.

Those are my thoughts - hope it helps 👍
I understand. And just to clarify, I'm not using the exact words from my father I'm just trying to convey my understanding about what he's been saying over the years.
As far as I get it it's somewhat of a "guy" thing. And for him the magnification has always been the big focus. He would probably laugh his ass off reading this but I'm just trying my best to figure out what to buy him. What I'm looking for is a handheld binocular with the highest magnification that's practical in real life regarding weight and stability.

The sig sauer zulu seems to maybe be a better buy than the canon maybe.

I understand. And just to clarify, I'm not using the exact words from my father I'm just trying to convey my understanding about what he's been saying over the years.
As far as I get it it's somewhat of a "guy" thing. And for him the magnification has always been the big focus. He would probably laugh his ass off reading this but I'm just trying my best to figure out what to buy him. What I'm looking for is a handheld binocular with the highest magnification that's practical in real life regarding weight and stability.

The sig sauer zulu seems to maybe be a better buy than the canon maybe.
Looks to be the case. From what I’ve seen, the IS on the 16x42 Zulu is slightly better than the 15x canon - and the eyecups on the Zulu seem to be much better! so I would say The Zulu’s are a safe bet.

The only issue I see is that see is that they may be discontinued by the manufacturer - which I am not sure what that means warranty wise - but they are still available to purchase so it might be better to grab them before you can’t 🤷‍♂️

You can buy an alpha binocular and still have money leftover.
Try out a few of the models mentioned above then select one that's comfortable to hold & carry. Extreme magnification narrows the field of view and isn't always a good thing for finding/following birds.
And with the remaining money take a trip to an exotic location and observe, observe, observe!
The best binoculars are the ones you use.

Looks to be the case. From what I’ve seen, the IS on the 16x42 Zulu is slightly better than the 15x canon - and the eyecups on the Zulu seem to be much better! so I would say The Zulu’s are a safe bet.

The only issue I see is that see is that they may be discontinued by the manufacturer - which I am not sure what that means warranty wise - but they are still available to purchase so it might be better to grab them before you can’t 🤷‍♂️
Sig Sauer has replaced the Zulu 6 with the Zulu 6 HDX in a 10x30,12x42,16x42 and a new 20x42. The newer HDX model has IPX7 waterproofing instead of IPX4, so the binocular is even more waterproof being capable of being submersed, they have better HDX glass, and they have two settings for the IS depending on if you are panning or spotting. The price increased to reflect the improvements.

I don't really have a clue about this stuff but I'm starting to learn a little bit at least.
There should be no decisions made until you go and start looking through some of the options that have your interest.
While there is a possibility that you’d be perfectly happy with one of the models suggested here, there’s also just as much of a possibility for regret if you don’t go and start doing some comparisons.
At the very least, he should choose his magnification with his own eyes and not his imaginations.

Last edited:
The Canon 18x50 IS has no problem with shake due to 18x unless it is held sloppily or held one handed at an extreme angle.

Yes, you have to learn how to use it and hold it steadily.

It may take a few seconds till the IS works well.

I use lithium AA throw away batteries, which last a long time and work well at low temperatures.

The present Canon 18x50 IS may be made in Taiwan rather than my 23 year old Japanese one.
It is probable the IS has improved, although I am not sure if the quality is more variable.

I would go for the Canon 18x50 IS or the Zeiss 20x60S if you can afford it.

The Kite, Sig Zulu and clones may be good, but the field of view may be smaller.

The Canon 15x50 IS is a better general use binocular, which I have, but I go straight to the 18x50 IS if I want maximum detail.

It has its faults, as does everything, but for the money, it is a good choice.

For someone of 6ft 2ins in good health I think it presents little problem.

I wouldn't want to drop it on granite or bang it against rocks, but mine still works well.

Regards,
B.

Last edited:
One thing to check is the IPD interpupillary distance or distance between the centre of the eyes.

If it is very large it may be wider than the range provided by a binocular.

B.

Hi! I just want to say from the start that I'm absolutely clueless about this stuff but I hope you guys can help me out with this.

My dad is an outdoors guy and he always talks about getting some better binoculars. I think the most important thing is the zoom.. Or how close he can see stuff that's far away. This is for some reason the ultimate thing for him. A binocular with the ultimate reach where he can see as far as possible.
And before you judge me, I've done some research and I see some have this stabilizing gyro feature. They're more expensive, but they make it possible to zoom in on more details.

My dad is turning 60 years old so I want to get him what he always talks about. My budget is somewhat flexible because I don't really know anything about this, but 5000 usd is absolute maximum.
As far as I understand it he wants to look as far as possible with handheld binoculars. Don't ask me why but this seems to be the thing over and over again over the years.

If you could help me out with advice on what to buy that would mean the world to me. I just have no clue about this stuff.
I'm deeply thankful for anyone to take the time to help me with advice about this.

Jan
For people in the 60s age range exit pupil becomes a consideration. As does viewing comfort such as a light weight bino and eye relief (how comfortable it is to look through the eyepiece for a long time). All of this is subjective to the person and needs to be experienced directly.

I personally love my Habicht 10x40 W GA and wholly recommend them. But the ER might be too tight for some. And the focuser starts off stiff but gets much better with use.

Since you want the "best" lots of people recommend the NL Pures as the creme of the crop and some hold the Nikon EDG in high regard. You also can't go wrong with Zeiss or Lecia. Try getting them a nice 8x42 binocular with a good refund policy and let us know how it goes.

On a side note, I think unofficially the title of "best" binocular goes perhaps to the nikon xw if 10x50 but from what I understand those are heavy; and, they happen to be individual focus instead of center focus so they have a more limited range of use. The gold standard for astronomy binoculars allegedly.

As for image stabilizing (IS) binoculars. The canon 10x42L are well reviewed and then there's the legendary Zeiss 20x60 IS but they're out of your budget at around $8-9k I think.

The Canon 18x50 IS has no problem with shake due to 18x unless it is held sloppily or held one handed at an extreme angle.

Yes, you have to learn how to use it and hold it steadily.

It may take a few seconds till the IS works well.

I use lithium AA throw away batteries, which last a long time and work well at low temperatures.

The present Canon 18x50 IS may be made in Taiwan rather than my 23 year old Japanese one.
It is probable the IS has improved, although I am not sure if the quality is more variable.

I would go for the Canon 18x50 IS or the Zeiss 20x60S if you can afford it.

The Kite, Sig Zulu and clones may be good, but the field of view may be smaller.

The Canon 15x50 IS is a better general use binocular, which I have, but I go straight to the 18x50 IS if I want maximum detail.

It has its faults, as does everything, but for the money, it is a good choice.

For someone of 6ft 2ins in good health I think it presents little problem.

I wouldn't want to drop it on granite or bang it against rocks, but mine still works well.

Regards,
B.
I have the new Sig Sauer Zulu 6 HDX 20x42, and you can hold it in one hand or any angle you want, and you don't have to worry about handshake because it has two IS modes. A scan mode for scanning and a target mode for when you are zeroing in on a stationary target. In target mode even at 20x it is rock solid steady even if you are moving your hands around. It is amazing and just like having a portable spotting scope.

The Sig Sauer Zulu 6 HDX 20x42 has the same AFOV as the Canon IS 18x50 at 65 degrees, and it is 1/2 the weight at 21 oz. and much smaller and more compact. The relatively small 2.1 mm EP is not an issue for eye placement because the IS system keeps the EP centered over your retina and in daylight they are very bright and surprisingly bright in low light because the high magnification helps you see detail in low light and their Twilight Factor is actually quite high.

In contrast to the Canons which have old fashioned rubber eye cups, they have fully adjustable comfortable eye cups and I experienced no black-outs with them either. CA is better controlled with the Sigs than in the Canons also because of the high-end ED glass they use. Also, the Canon IS 18x50 is just water-resistant, whereas, the Sig Sauer Zulu6 HDX is IPX7 waterproof meaning you can totally submerge it underwater without a problem. IMO, the Sigs have left the Canon IS in the dust in just about every area, and they could be the IS binocular you have dreaming about. Also, pricewise the Sig 20x42 is about $1100 and the Canon 18x50 is $1500, so they are way less expensive also.

Last edited:
I have the new Sig Sauer Zulu 6 HDX 20x42, and you can hold it in one hand or any angle you want, and you don't have to worry about handshake because it has two IS modes. A scan mode for scanning and a target mode for when you are zeroing in on a stationary target. In target mode even at 20x it is rock solid steady even if you are moving your hands around. It is amazing and just like having a portable spotting scope.

The Sig Sauer Zulu 6 HDX 20x42 has the same AFOV as the Canon IS 18x50 at 65 degrees, and it is 1/2 the weight at 21 oz. and much smaller and more compact. The relatively small 2.1 mm EP is not an issue for eye placement because the IS system keeps the EP centered over your retina and in daylight they are very bright and surprisingly bright in low light because the high magnification helps you see detail in low light and their Twilight Factor is actually quite high.

In contrast to the Canons which have old fashioned rubber eye cups, they have fully adjustable comfortable eye cups and I experienced no black-outs with them either. CA is better controlled with the Sigs than in the Canons also because of the high-end ED glass they use. Also, the Canon IS 18x50 is just water-resistant, whereas, the Sig Sauer Zulu6 HDX is IPX7 waterproof meaning you can totally submerge it underwater without a problem. IMO, the Sigs have left the Canon IS in the dust in just about every area, and they could be the IS binocular you have dreaming about.
Master Po, I thought you had the 16x42 Zulu, what happened? Are they on CN or Astromrt, or the bay?

Master Po, I thought you had the 16x42 Zulu, what happened? Are they on CN or Astromrt, or the bay?
I upgraded to the HDX 20x42 and HDX 10x30. The HDX have IPX7 waterproofing, 2 stabilization modes and better ED glass. The regular Zulu 6 16x42 and 10x30 are on eBay at a nice discount for you if you want to try them.

Lmao 🤣🤪🤣😂. I’m shocked master Po😳. Can you tell us now what was wrong with them, or do we need to wait until after they’re sold. And they weren’t even the newer HDX model. When can we expect the 20’s to go on sale? Although a 2mm exit pupal is a no go for me anyway.
A 2 mm EP is not good on regular binoculars, but with IS it actually works quite well because the IS keeps the EP centered over your retina and eye placement comfort is excellent. People don't believe that, who are used to traditional binoculars. IS breaks the rules you are used to.

Also, the 20x42 are quite bright in the daytime and even in low light because of the high magnification. Do you remember what I taught you about Twilight Factor, grasshopper? Magnification helps to see detail in low light.

A 2 mm EP is not good on regular binoculars, but with IS it actually works quite well because the IS keeps the EP centered over your retina and eye placement comfort is excellent. People don't believe that, who are used to traditional binoculars. IS breaks the rules you are used to.
No, 2 mm is 2 mm. Good try.
Also, the 20x42 are quite bright in the daytime and even in low light because of the high magnification. Do you remember what I taught you about Twilight Factor, grasshopper? Magnification helps to see detail in low light.
Master Po, you haven’t taught me anything, on the contrary you generally post opinions that are half true and many times misleading, and then when you sell , you bash the bino. The pattern is like a blind man walking down the hallway with his Walking stick. Next time give us the heads up when you’re about to sell the product that you’re saying is the best thing since sliced bread, so we can all get a good laugh. By the way how come you didn’t list them on Birdforum

I need to try some of these... sounds like the tech has arrived :-o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back