• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The best binoculars (1 Viewer)

Ms Hansson

Norway
Hi! I just want to say from the start that I'm absolutely clueless about this stuff but I hope you guys can help me out with this.

My dad is an outdoors guy and he always talks about getting some better binoculars. I think the most important thing is the zoom.. Or how close he can see stuff that's far away. This is for some reason the ultimate thing for him. A binocular with the ultimate reach where he can see as far as possible.
And before you judge me, I've done some research and I see some have this stabilizing gyro feature. They're more expensive, but they make it possible to zoom in on more details.

My dad is turning 60 years old so I want to get him what he always talks about. My budget is somewhat flexible because I don't really know anything about this, but 5000 usd is absolute maximum.
As far as I understand it he wants to look as far as possible with handheld binoculars. Don't ask me why but this seems to be the thing over and over again over the years.

If you could help me out with advice on what to buy that would mean the world to me. I just have no clue about this stuff.
I'm deeply thankful for anyone to take the time to help me with advice about this.

Jan

Try the Sig Sauer Zulu 6 16x42. They will give you the reach your dad is looking for, and the IS will give you a rock steady view. They only weigh 20 oz. which is 1/2 the weight of other IS binoculars like the big Canon's and 1/3 the weight of Zeiss 20x60 IS. The Zeiss 20x60 IS being mechanical is also very fragile, and that is coming straight from Zeiss.

Last edited:
Other options include the

Fujinon TSX 14x40,
the Canon 10x42, 15x50 and 18x50
Kite 12 or 16x42

check the post for individual differences but all have good reviews

edj

...5000 usd is absolute maximum. As far as I understand it he wants to look as far as possible with handheld binoculars. Don't ask me why but this seems to be the thing over and over again over the years.
That leaves a lot of room and my first suggestion would be to start taking him to some stores that have as many higher end options as possible to that he can zero in on what really makes him happy. When you put up this description the first one I thought of is the highest power binocular that I've been wanting ever since trying one last winter; the 12x50 Leica Ultravid HD+.
Surprisingly easy for me to hold steady for a fairly long period while I tried them out, and absolutely gorgeous view.
Many of us (most?) will make suggestions based on our own subjective opinions and the best opinion to get will be the one of your dad. He may very well change what he's said once he gets a chance to actually look through many of them too, and it's very well possible that he'll like the combination of a bit more brightness, less size/weight that a top line 10x would bring as well.

I've always thought of this a bit like, you wouldn't let people over the internet tell you how to dress, and choosing the right binocular is ever more personal than that!

In closing, there is no single "best" binocular, not even the NL, Ultravid or any other. They all exist largely because they're all better for viewers with differing sets of priorities and preferences.

Maximum magnification for handheld use leaves basically only stabilized binos.
Zeiss 20x60 can be found used and refurbished on German ebay for around 3,000 to 4,000€. Next best thing with the largest mag would be Canon 18x50IS for around 1,000 bucks. There is also a rare Russian Zomz 20x50 with mechanic stabilization but I found about zero info in English on the web. Maybe searching in Russian would be better but I am not sure one can even order one currently from Zomz.

The bigger canons are weighty beasts, could get tiring after a while. For “getting close” a lightweight spotter may be better, with a light tripod to give stable views. Which of binocular, highest power or handheld are the most important parameter and which could be dropped to improve the overall. I can do highest peer and binocular with a heavy tripod mounted binoscope, but then handheld is failed. High power and handheld… a compact spotter. Last time I was out birding I ended up using the spotter and the bins just stayed round my neck.
I’d get you dad to some places where you can compare bins/spotters etc and see which way his thoughts go… don’t rush. Going along to birding sites and asking to lol through other peoples kit or asking people how they get on with things… help refine the ask and the solution.

Good luck

Peter

How portable does it need to be? If you're simply wondering what the ultimate in image-stabilized binoculars is, it's probably the Zeiss 20x60S, but those are gigantic and not very fun to carry, plus the regular price is over the max budget:

However, I would hesitate to recommend anything with magnification that high; even when stabilized, they're much more difficult to use than something with a wider field of view, and you need the right atmospheric conditions to get much benefit out of them anyway. They're a very niche item.

Most people who really want to see detail at long range will be using a spotting scope on a tripod instead of binoculars, which become increasingly problematic and impractical as magnification increases.

If you want the ultimate set of portable, hand-holdable binoculars without the bulk and complexity of image stabilization, I would say that the Swarovski NL Pure in 12x42 is the best available on the market. 12X is about the practical limit without a tripod for binoculars, and they're so much more useful than a specialized high-mag pair will be under most conditions and in most situations. You will likely perceive more detail from them than from a lower-quality pair of binoculars with higher magnification, anyway. They will also perform much better in low light.

But don't take my word for it. I would suggest to find a well-stocked store where you can try different options in person; plenty of those in Norway.

If you want the ultimate set of portable, hand-holdable binoculars without the bulk and complexity of image stabilization, I would say that the Swarovski NL Pure in 12x42 is the best available on the market. 12X is about the practical limit without a tripod for binoculars, and they're so much more useful than a specialized high-mag pair will be under most conditions and in most situations. You are also likely to see more detail from them than from a lower-quality pair of binoculars with higher magnification.
They do come with a headrest, too, which gives some of the benefits of image stabilisation tech. You have to buy it separately, though.

Do not be seduced by magnification, more is not necessarily better, and you have to give up other things to get it.

Binoculars do not allow one to “see farther” they enable one to see better.

The best two reasonably compact and light binoculars in the world right now are (alphabetically) the Swarovski NL 8X32 or the Zeiss Victory SF 8X32. They are “the same thing, only different” so he should be allowed to choose which one he prefers, if at all possible.

With either of those, he can’t lose.

Last edited:
The Zeiss 20x60S probably shows the most detail in a hand held binocular.

It is heavy, bulky and the button needs to be pushed all the time, although this is easier upside down.
It isn't waterproof, I think, and expensive to repair if dropped.

The Komz 20x50 has mixed reports.

If waterproof is needed then the Kite, Sig Sauer and clones seem to be advertised as waterproofed.
There is I think a new 20x42.
But also 16x42.

The Fujinon 14x40 are I think waterproof.

If you live in Bergen, then waterproof is necessary.
Maybe Hammerfest is drier?

For ease of use maybe the Canon 12x36 Mk3 is best, but not waterproof.
It is not too heavy.

The Canon 10x42L IS is waterproof and the button only needs pressing every 5 minutes or so.
Same for the Canon 15x50 and 18x50 but these are only water resistant or splashproof.
These three are bulky, but o.k. for a fit person.

I don't think poor atmosphere will limit seeing long distances most of the time.

The Zeiss 20x60S picks up quite a lot of detail at 10 kilometres.

This is a Norwegian mile, which I found out to my cost when I asked how far the next petrol station was.
I was told 6 miles. It was about 40 miles and I ran out of petrol.

Regards,
B.

12x42 NL Pure with headrest sounds like a great idea. But probably best to try a 12x magnification either directly in the store or with a cheaper bino at first before spending the money, I think.
The Komz 20x50 has mixed reports.
Zomz not Komz. But do you have a link to some reviews? I never really found much about this thing.

Thanks for the correction.

I have read reports over the years and the claim from the makers that it is better than the Zeiss 20x60S are for the most part wishful thinking.

Their reliability is given as many times better than the Zeiss. This could be true if they are relatively primitive.

They say the magnetic eddies are the best?

The 16x50, at least the old one, was 16x35 as only part of the objective was used as the image moved around.

There may be many iterations.

The 16x50 was I think used in tanks successfully with maybe a 5 degree movement catered for.

I think there was also a problem when used above the horizontal.

I found the Zeiss 20x60S o.k. at elevation for viewing stars.

Maybe military versions are better for the Zomz.
There was a U.S. firm advertising them, but probably run by a Russian.
There were all sorts of claims.
I thought the various Zomz way over priced retail.

I think there may have been a 25x56 version at least in prototype.

The Zomz may well work if a good example is found.

I am not sure if the Bushnell 10x IS has Russian or Chinese IS.
Mine is junk.

Regards,
B.

That leaves a lot of room and my first suggestion would be to start taking him to some stores that have as many higher end options as possible to that he can zero in on what really makes him happy. When you put up this description the first one I thought of is the highest power binocular that I've been wanting ever since trying one last winter; the 12x50 Leica Ultravid HD+.
Surprisingly easy for me to hold steady for a fairly long period while I tried them out, and absolutely gorgeous view.
Many of us (most?) will make suggestions based on our own subjective opinions and the best opinion to get will be the one of your dad. He may very well change what he's said once he gets a chance to actually look through many of them too, and it's very well possible that he'll like the combination of a bit more brightness, less size/weight that a top line 10x would bring as well.

I've always thought of this a bit like, you wouldn't let people over the internet tell you how to dress, and choosing the right binocular is ever more personal than that!

In closing, there is no single "best" binocular, not even the NL, Ultravid or any other. They all exist largely because they're all better for viewers with differing sets of priorities and preferences.
I really find it difficult to believe a 60-year-old man could hold a 12x50 Leica UVHD+ steady. Not only are they very heavy, 12x is very difficult for most people to hold steady, even if you are younger.

Absolutely. Another thing: I'm not sure if I'd really trust any of the image-stabilized stuff for outdoor use in Norway, since it's a very rainy country.
The Sig Sauer Zulu 6 IS binoculars are IPX 4 waterproof and the Zulu 6 HDX are IPX 7, so either one can be used in the rain and the HDX can be submerged. You need to read up on IS binoculars a little more throughly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back