• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why is twilight transmission lower than daylight? (1 Viewer)

We never measured in any binocular we have investigated transmission values of 97,5%, not in porros and not in roofs.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi Gijs,

Is there a way to obtain the numerical values for the transmission curves that you publish at the House of Outdoors? For example, 5 nm spacing in Excel format? Of course, I'd be happy to credit you/them as the data source.

Ed

Ed, post 23,
Of course you can read the values form the curves in the old fashioned way, taking a ruler measure the value and use a calculator. Works good, but takes a little time. In the meantime I will approach my colleague who has all the digital files and who is on vacation right now, so patience is a wonderful thing...It will probably somewhere in August that he is back....And I promise to think about your request while camping myself on one of the most beautiful islands in this universe. Are you also the Ed who asked for a reprint of one of my oxygen radical studies? If so I can try to extract that also from my own files (I do not have it in a digital form, but it can be copied).
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs,

Thanks, I really appreciate your effort to get a few of those files to me in digital form.

I don't recall asking for the oxygen radical study you mentioned, so you're off the hook on that one.

Regards,
Ed

Gijs,

I think having the spectral transmission curves in machine readable format on site would be really useful - one can use them to do comparative simulations of views thru the glass.

Edmund

Gijs,

I think having the spectral transmission curves in machine readable format on site would be really useful - one can use them to do comparative simulations of views thru the glass.

Edmund

Edmund

Gijs's transmission reports were not produced with publication via Birdforum in mind so your request may not be possible.

Lee

Ed, post 25,
Which spectra are you particularly interested in?
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs,

At this point, I'd be most interested in a few (maybe three) spectra that are decidedly non-flat, like the Meopta Meostar shown below, which I borrowed from an earlier post. The more the shapes differ the better.

If possible, I'd also like to know your assessment of the "Day/Night" values and color bias is they are available.

Thanks,
Ed

Attachments

• 25643_meopta_meostar.jpg
    25643_meopta_meostar.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Ed, post 29,
We will select some spectra, which fulfill your wishes, but as I wrote: my colleague is on vacation riht now for 4-5 weeks and he guards the spectra in his backup system and in that time I can not reach them. How can I send them to you when he is back: ordinary mail, e-mail ????
Gijs van Ginkel

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back