• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED II Fieldscope (1 Viewer)

colhot

Hi

I have the above scope (angled) with a 20 x 45 zoom lens. While the lens is ok, I would prefer to upgrade the lens without having to buy a new scope.

Which would be the best to go for?

Also is there somewhere in the UK that I can get a replacement SOC?

Thanks

Colin

Hi

I have the above scope (angled) with a 20 x 45 zoom lens. While the lens is ok, I would prefer to upgrade the lens without having to buy a new scope.

Which would be the best to go for?

Also is there somewhere in the UK that I can get a replacement SOC?

Thanks

Colin

The best zoom available for these is the 20-60 MC II eyepiece
and it is better all around than the 20x45. Twist up eyecup,
wider FOV and brighter coatings.

If you are wanting a fixed eyepiece, lots to choose from, and
24x may be a good all around size. These eyepieces are getting
hard to find, so go back on the subforum, and find out what
others are saying about the size to get.

Myself, I like the zoom, when light is dim I can back things off
and get along well, and then I like the power when I need it.
The 20-60 will give you that.

Jerry

The best zoom available for these is the 20-60 MC II eyepiece and it is better all around than the 20x45. Twist up eyecup,

Unfortunately the field of view of the 20-60x MCII is just as narrow as that of the 20-45x. There's also a multi-coated version of the 20-45x around, and that's quite a lot brighter than the older version. I would prefer the 20-60x anytime, no matter which version (the first version of the 20-60x MCI is almost as good as the MCII)

Another idea: For many purposes the "old" 20x also works pretty well and can often be found at somewhat lower prices than the other wideangles. It's a lot wider than the zooms and optically good.

If you're in the UK you might want to try Amazon. Amazon Germany still has some eyepieces, including the 24x WA at a decent price.

Hermann

Many thanks.

Colin

Unfortunately the field of view of the 20-60x MCII is just as narrow as that of the 20-45x. There's also a multi-coated version of the 20-45x around, and that's quite a lot brighter than the older version. I would prefer the 20-60x anytime, no matter which version (the first version of the 20-60x MCI is almost as good as the MCII)

Another idea: For many purposes the "old" 20x also works pretty well and can often be found at somewhat lower prices than the other wideangles. It's a lot wider than the zooms and optically good.

If you're in the UK you might want to try Amazon. Amazon Germany still has some eyepieces, including the 24x WA at a decent price.

Hermann

Many thanks.

Colin

The best zoom available for these is the 20-60 MC II eyepiece
and it is better all around than the 20x45. Twist up eyecup,

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back