• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATX 85 vs ATX 95 (1 Viewer)

Al Downie

I've been researching, reading, canvassing opinions, testing and comparing these scopes for weeks now, and have finally stopped swithering and placed my order. I really wanted to have a reason to buy the ATX 95, and I was almost persuaded by the mathematical formulae which prove that it's the best scope in the world, and the touted opinions that the 85 is a kind-of orphaned 'scope-without-a-purpose' or only for people who can't bear the weight of the 95, but in the end I'm convinced that the 85 is the better scope, at least for my purposes.

I understand the argument about objective size and magnification and limits of resolution and brightness etc, but I guess that doesn't take into account optical design - some lenses are simply better than others because of their design, despite their identical on-paper specifications. In practical terms and subjective tests I think the 85 is sharper, and suffers less from chromatic aberration than the 95. I compared the two scopes side by side in three different shops, twice in two of the shops under different lighting conditions, and the results were consistent:

- the 85 was brighter at 25x than the 95 was at 30x
- with both set to 60x, I preferred the 85's image
- when looking into backlit branches at 60x, the 85 showed no purple fringing, but it was definitely visible in the 95
- I stared through the 95 for a while, switching between 60x and 70x, and to be honest if there's detail I cannot see in the 85 at 60x, I don't believe I would see it in the 95 at 70x. The difference between 30x and 25x at the shallow end however, is much more important and useful to me.

Regarding sharpness, in addition to my own subjective opinion, my 'evidence' is the wealth of top quality digiscoping images that is available to see on the internet. I particularly recommend Tara Tanaka's gallery - in March 2014 Tara switched from using an STX 95 to an STX 85, and there was an obvious improvement in sharpness (Tara - if you're reading, I hope you're not offended by that!). This seems to be replicated across many users' galleries - the best shots in ATX 95 users' galleries are simply not as sharp as the best shots in ATX 85 users' galleries. Given Tara's obvious expertise, I don't think it can be argued that the difference in magnification is what's responsible for the difference in quality - I think it's clear that the 85 simply delivers a sharper image to the camera than the 95.

On top of all that, the 85 is smaller, lighter, and cheaper than the 95! But I hasten to add that these were secondary considerations for me.

I expect this will annoy many people who are delighted with their 95s, but I thought I should post it for the benefit of people who might in a similar position and don't want to make a mistake at that level of investment. The best advice is, of course, to try before you buy and decide on what's best for your particular requirements. Don't rule out the 85 without testing it!

Al,

congrats on the ATX85 and thanks for the comments. I'm a complete birding newbie as well as scope newbie too and spent the last few weeks researching scopes and ended up with the ATX85, after first ordering the ATX95 and switching an hour later based on things I read about. got the ATX85 on Friday.

my understanding is that another significant issue and likely a contributor to the sharpness benefit in the pics of the ATX85 over the ATX95 is that the 85's greater light gathering allows for approximately 1/2 f-stop better for the camera, possibly friendlier ISO and faster shutter speed, as well as less shake.

I read that here.

maybe the ATX85 hits the sweet spot for digiscoping with optimal camera interface and maximum reach. it sure looks that way.

I had not seen those Tanaka photos before which do really underscore this question.

I'm feeling even better about my decision now so thank you for that.

Mike

Last edited:
I certainly agree with Al Downie, I spent ages trying the 85 and the 95 and also decided the 85 was for me,
there just did not seem to be enough difference to me to warrant the extra weight and money.
Also I think the eyesight varies a lot with different people which means they should try both.
It's a good job that I'm very happy with mine as at my age my financial advisor said it will be my last.

ATX85 here as well, clearly the better one to me. Could have chosen the ATX95 as well, but the 85 turned out to be the better one for me. "Fresher" image and less CA. Compared both for hours, and finally made the right choice, 85 it is:t:

ATX 95 for me. Better contrast, brighter image, just a cleaner relaxing on the eye view compared to the 85atx plus the extra zoom is a plus.
I also compared the 85ATX with my 80hd atm and not much in it at all.

I'm upgrading to the 95atx as their is enough difference between it and my atm but I wouldn't upgrade to the 85atx as the difference is negligible.

Regards Gerard.

ATX 95 for me. Better contrast, brighter image, just a cleaner relaxing on the eye view compared to the 85atx plus the extra zoom is a plus.
I also compared the 85ATX with my 80hd atm and not much in it at all.

I'm upgrading to the 95atx as their is enough difference between it and my atm but I wouldn't upgrade to the 85atx as the difference is negligible.

Regards Gerard.

Funny how opinions can differ in between persons, my findings were exactly the opposite;)
I compared the 80HD with the ATX85 as well, and I found the ATX to be a significant improvement over the 80HD.
The exit pupil of the 85 is also bigger than the 95's (within it's zoom range ofcourse, due to the lower magnification), so actually the viewing comfort and brightness of the 85 should be a little bit higher IMO.
My findings: contrast is on a par for both scopes, CA is better controlled in the 85, and when both set to the same mag. (60x), the image of the 85 was sharper and "fresher"
I'm not going to say the 85 IS better, that's each to his own to decide:t:
They are both stunning scopes.
By the way, beautiful photo's on your homepage Gerard!

Kind regards,

Gijs

Last edited:
Hi Gijs, it's what makes us individuals or else we'd only have one optics company making one scope or binocular.;) When comparing the 85atx with the 80hd I found the contrast slightly better in the ATX but that was the only difference I could see. When I compared the 80hd with the 95 ATX I saw a significant improvement in contrast with smaller improvements in the rest of the view. Comparing the 85 and 95atx I saw no CA at all from both scopes. I just found the image better overall in the 95 and what really clinched it was the extra zoom which is one of my main reasons for upgrading as I don't find the 50x enough in the ATM.
Thanks for the compliment.

Regards Gerard.

Yes, my findings were exactly the same as Gerard. I too have moved from an ATM80HD to an ATX95.

I tried ATX65, ATX85 and ATX95 and compared all of them side-by-side with my ATM80HD. I liked the view through the ATX95 best. Same as Gerard, it was the extra magnification on the ATX95 that clinched it for me - I definitely felt I could resolve slightly more detail at x70 on the birds than on the ATX85 at x60.

As regards the size/weight issue, I have also bought an ATX65 objective module which I will use when I am doing more walking. The ATX95/ATX65 solution is the best fit for my needs - I think a lot of other birders have done the same as me and bought 95mm and 65mm objectives. Several optics dealers have told me the 95/65 combination is very popular with keen birders.

But as has been stated, the ATX scopes are all flippin' marvellous so you can't go too far wrong with any of them!

The biggest problem for me with the STX95 is the eyepiece starts at 30x. I can't get a great egret in the frame at 60 metres with the GH4 nor a Terek Sandpiper at 10 metres. But if you want to fill the frame with a Red-necked Stint then it can't be beat.
I would love a 20 - 50x eyepiece equivalent as 95% of my digiscoping is done in that range.
Neil.

I compared the ATX 85 with the ATX 95 yesterday and preferred the latter. It certainly showed a bit too much chromatic aberration at high magnifications, but I still thought it was more comfortable to look through - probably because it is brighter.

I compared the ATX 85 with the ATX 95 yesterday and preferred the latter. It certainly showed a bit too much chromatic aberration at high magnifications, but I still thought it was more comfortable to look through - probably because it is brighter.

Concerning brightness, I doubt it if the difference can be seen in normal situations. The EP at the same magnification is ofcourse bigger in the 95, but the EP on min/max magnification is bigger in the 85.
The EP on minimum magnification is 3,4mm for the 85, and 3.15mm for the 95.
The EP on maximum magnification is 1.42mm for the 85 and 1.35mm for the 95.

Because I use the scope mostly on min. magnification, I'm glad I went the 85 route because of the wider FOV. Still no regrets eversince. The control of CA was one of the things I found the 85 to be quite a bit better than the 95. The Image when set at 60x for both scopes was definitely more "crisp" in the 85.

Last edited:
Concerning brightness, I doubt it if the difference can be seen in normal situations. The EP at the same magnification is ofcourse bigger in the 95, but the EP on min/max magnification is bigger in the 85.
The EP on minimum magnification is 3,4mm for the 85, and 3.15mm for the 95.
The EP on maximum magnification is 1.42mm for the 85 and 1.35mm for the 95.

Because I use the scope mostly on min. magnification, I'm glad I went the 85 route because of the wider FOV. Still no regrets eversince. The control of CA was one of the things I found the 85 to be quite a bit better than the 95. The Image when set at 60x for both scopes was definitely more "crisp" in the 85.

I do not think it´s fare to compare 25x vs 30x or 60x vs 70x. It is more fare to compare 30x vs 30x, 40x vs 40x, 50x vs 50x and 60x vs 60x. I did that and prefered the ATX 95. If we are to make comparisons as you do you should let the ATX85 be in a bag forever and instead only use your binoculars... ;)

The ATX85 has certainly a larger field of view than the ATX95, but the AFOV of the two are the same. In terms of CA, I agree with you..I saw CA quite clearly in the ATX95 at high magnifications. Optically, it is really the only thing I have to criticize ATX95 for. Perhaps there is more to criticize, something that I hope will be answered on Sunday during Falsterbo Bird Show!

I do not think it´s fare to compare 25x vs 30x or 60x vs 70x. It is more fare to compare 30x vs 30x, 40x vs 40x, 50x vs 50x and 60x vs 60x. I did that and prefered the ATX 95. If we are to make comparisons as you do you should let the ATX85 be in a bag forever and instead only use your binoculars... ;)

The ATX85 has certainly a larger field of view than the ATX95, but the AFOV of the two are the same. In terms of CA, I agree with you..I saw CA quite clearly in the ATX95 at high magnifications. Optically, it is really the only thing I have to criticize ATX95 for. Perhaps there is more to criticize, something that I hope will be answered on Sunday during Falsterbo Bird Show!

I didn't compare 25 vs 30x, I compared them both set to 60x, and without a doubt I preferred the 85's image, and I sure am not the only one with this opinion;) The image of the 95 I tried was degrading slightly when zooming from 60 to 70x. When both set to 60x, the 95 did not show more detail than the 85, and the image was showing more CA than I wanted.
I just wanted to explain that the exit pupil of the 85 at min./max. magnification is bigger than the e.p. of the 95 on min/max mag. ofcourse without taking the magnification factor into consideration, see calculations in my previous post.
Please explain which part of my comparison is not fair?|=)|

p.s. No clue what you mean with the atx85-in-bag-binoculars remark, if you mean it is about the extra 10x mag. of the 95 compared to the 85, well, when one can't see it at 60x, I doubt you will at 70x.B :)
I walked in with the 95 in mind, and walked out with the 85, knowing that I let my mind decide, not my wallet.o:D

I purchased the ATX95 in November 2012 shortly after its introduction. In 2014, I went to buy the 65mm objective for air travel, but ended up purchasing the 85 which is considerably smaller than the 95..

Having owned and used both for over a year, I have come to prefer the 85 and use it in most situations. My 95 spends too much time in the bag, while the 85 is on the tripod. My plan for a 95/65 combo, may instead become only an 85.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back