• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Des's Doodlings (1 Viewer)

I don't see anything to be ashamed of there Des...lovely colours and you've managed the redshanks very well...nice movement and decent light too...well done!

As you say - it's all practice anyway...and fun to boot!!

I've not posted for a bit, so thought I'd share my latest disaster in-progress, with my newly acquired acrylics.

(Re-arrange these words into a well know phrase or saying: Off, More, Bitten, Can, He, Chew, Than) ;)

Attachments

• Web SNV30214.jpg
    Web SNV30214.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 86
  • Web SNV30216.jpg
    Web SNV30216.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 90
I've not posted for a bit, so thought I'd share my latest disaster in-progress, with my newly acquired acrylics.

(Re-arrange these words into a well know phrase or saying: Off, More, Bitten, Can, He, Chew, Than) ;)

hi Des

Not posted for a while - I bet that you have been busy with your artwork ;)

Super picture of the Wren, No, it is not a bit a disaster at all from what I can at the moment

Love to see the end result here. :t::-O

Very nice drawing Des - and I think the painting is heading the right way. It's difficult getting an angle on the way the colours should work when there's such a lot of white paper/board showing. A tip when using heavy colour laid on (as opposed to watercolour) is to 'extinguish' the brightness of the white substrate ( I use a burnt sienna wash, but grey would work just as well). This gives a neutral value for you to select darker or lighter values. Having said that, it's not illegal to do as you are doing - part of the fun of the journey is finding alternative paths down which to explore.
Keep it up - it's working fine.

Thanks for the encouragement Peewit and the tips Tim.

I've a feeling that you're right, and that there is not going to be anything to tie the whole thing together. The area at the front is supposed to miraculously turn into a small rivulet running down between the wren's legs and into a small pool. How to do it? Not a clue. I suppose I'll just give it my best shot unless you can suggest anything!

Des.

I think it looks fantastic so far - I hardly ever use acrylic as I could never seem to get the hang of it - looks to me like you're 'getting' it much better than I ever did...

You've made a great start on the water part - I start much the same way then keep on layering washes over the darker 'movement' lines - I'm sure others could offer more specific advice...

Tim's given you great advice on neutralizing the background - I usually work on white but perhaps I'll try this just to see what difference it makes...thanks for the tip Tim!

Good for you for braving a new medium Des...can't wait to see how this turns out!!

Cheers Chris. I'm dipping from one thing to another like a kid in a sweetshop at the moment! Probably not the best thing to do at this early stage but never mind.

I just had a look back at Tim's recent Wheatear painting, for an example of the underlying wash I probably should have done. Might be an idea to do the wash before even doing the layout sketch?

I have to say I haven't always done this - sometimes it's straight out with the big brushes, but I only take this approach when I'm absolutely clear about the image in my head - and then, the underpainting is quick and obliterates the whicte pretty soon anyway. Just keep at it - often the difference between a muck-up and a miracle is time (and it can go BOTH ways ;) )

...like a kid in a sweetshop at the moment! Probably not the best thing to do at this early stage but never mind.

Do whatever turns your crank Des - if it's fun and exciting - then you're probably on the right track. The great thing about kids is they know how to have fun!!

Be the 'Kid'!!!!

Last night's Wren wrestling got me this far :

No more progress tonight unless Stockport County gets rained off!

Attachments

• Web SNV30218.jpg
    Web SNV30218.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 97
This is an intimate painting that is looking great so far! I like your term "wrestling"... that is a perfect description for painting, at least for me, most of the time!!

I did a bit more work last night (I need to get myself some better lighting to work under!).

Still a bit more tinkering to do with the Wren, add some leaf detail and shading to the ivy and tree branch, decide what to do about reflections in the water and I'm there!

Attachments

• Web SNV30222.jpg
    Web SNV30222.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 91
I'd call it finished too Des - really well done. You have attempted such a lot for one painting ( and that being one of your first!) - highly commendable. I think you've controlled the tonal values and colour range remakably well - I wouldn't have dared do something as adventurous so early in my career.

Thanks for the kind words!

It didn't photograph too well. It seems to better in sunlight and rather awful tonight. I'm definitely looking forward to doing something a bit lighter!

Cheers,
Des.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back