• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which seeds? (1 Viewer)

Nature__lover

Hi I have a peanut feeder, a tray that I put leftover bits on or chopped fat balls, a fat hanging block and a seed feeder up in the garden.

my question is what seed do you put in your seed feeder?
I wanted to attract goldfinches etc- and people suggested sunflower hearts. my seed feeders filled with them, but apart from the odd blue or coal tit, no other birds have used it.

so what seed attracts the widest variety of birds? should I be more patient with the sunflower hearts..or try something else?

Hi,
Sunflower hearts are excellent for a wide variety of birds, including Goldfinches.
However, Nijer seed seems to be their favorite, so you might try hanging a sock feeder of Nijer as an added attraction.
One thing to monitor is whether the seed has gone off. Sunflower hearts will go bad in short order if the weather is damp and Nijer will go moldy quite easily if it gets a bit wet. Birds won't eat that, unless they are really starving and they will not include that site in their rounds.
There has been some discussion on this Forum about the use of raw domestic grown Nijer seed, as opposed to the imported varieties, which are heat treated to sterilize any noxious weed seeds that may be included inadvertently. Some of the posters noted better acceptance of the domestic live product.
Do note that Nijer husks make a mess. They mat on the ground and create a dead spot, even worse than Sunflower hulls. A catch tray is a helpful addition, but will also give perches for possibly unwanted visitors, such as the HS.

It's been raining all day so you may be right etudiant !
When the rain has stopped I will refill the feeders with fresh food. and next time I'm at the shops I'll buy nyger. If I'm lucky enough to get goldies, greenfinches, or anything of that sort I'll post to tell every1.

a sock feeder? is that literally what i think it is? :D

I have a variety of seed in my feeders, sunflower in one, normal mix seed in another and a niger feeder. the goldfinches are slow on the uptake with the niger as I've only just got round to replacing my other, however i saw one today in the bush for the first time in a long time so fingers crossed! Most of the small birds love the sunflower seeds, they definitely go the quickest.

I think I will buy a niger feeder then. I'll keep the normal seed feeder stocked with sunflower hearts.

Just thought I'd say...
I had goldies and greenfinches all summer. (lots of greenfinches) now I am feeding the same food and I have had zero since august. Is it possible that my local golds and greens are travelling in flocks around some where else , and will come back in spring/summer?

I think I will buy a niger feeder then. I'll keep the normal seed feeder stocked with sunflower hearts.

Just thought I'd say...
I had goldies and greenfinches all summer. (lots of greenfinches) now I am feeding the same food and I have had zero since august. Is it possible that my local golds and greens are travelling in flocks around some where else , and will come back in spring/summer?

Not all our goldfinches are resident and some will migrate. I've only seen the odd 2 or 3 around during the winter months. It's highly likely you will be inundated with them again when it gets warmer :)

a sock feeder? is that literally what i think it is? :D

I have a variety of seed in my feeders, sunflower in one, normal mix seed in another and a niger feeder. the goldfinches are slow on the uptake with the niger as I've only just got round to replacing my other, however i saw one today in the bush for the first time in a long time so fingers crossed! Most of the small birds love the sunflower seeds, they definitely go the quickest.

Pretty much exactly. One offered here:

http://shopzlot.biz/product/0/Kaytee-Finch-Sock-Instant-Feeder-Twin-Pack/

Basic idea is that several birds can share the feeder as they can pull out the seeds through the mesh.
Because the seeds are long and thin, they do not sift out by themselves but have to be pulled out.
Siskins are especially fond of these seeds.

Have to say that a Tom Chambers feeder like this

http://www.gardencentre.co.uk/product.asp?id=466

does the trick in one garden I know with flocks of 8-10 not uncommon.

I get the feeling that goldfinches are quite territorial, though, as they rarely visit my own garden. I don't have a specific nyger feeder though and my garden's a bit more enclosed, which may put them off.

The only niger feeders I've seen around in shops are the tube ones that have tiny little square holes so the birds can pull the seed through.
next time I see one must get it- and a bag of niger too!

I'll keep the sunflower hearts stocked in the normal seed feeder.

I also have a peanut feeder, but it is never used really so might put suet pellets in it instead.

Peanuts sometimes go quite slowly. I was convinced that some were going untouched until I saw a great tit visiting - and not being put off by a territorial robin!

Nyger/niger seeds last fairly well so if you put your feeder up you've got a couple of weeks or so to see if it attracts the goldfinches.

Of course, if there are none in your area (or they are put off by some other factor such as cats?) then the nygers will ultimately go to waste.

If that happens you might as well find someone else to pass the feeder on to, as well!

The only niger feeders I've seen around in shops are the tube ones that have tiny little square holes so the birds can pull the seed through.
next time I see one must get it- and a bag of niger too!
DO you a "Range" store near you? They have about 4 different niger feeders (i only know this as I got mine from there recently). The one I have is a tube with two tiny ports for the birds to get the seed, small so it doesn't all spill out.

Nyger/niger seeds last fairly well so if you put your feeder up you've got a couple of weeks or so to see if it attracts the goldfinches.

Niger seeds do last a while but only provided they are kept dry. The reason I had to get a new feeder was due to the rain getting into the bottom of the feeder causing the seeds to shoot = not so attractive to birds and just ended up clogging the feeder.

Cheap niger feeders tends to get soggy inside - mine, the seeds got stuck at the bottom, got soggy and went mouldy...!
So if you're planning to seriously go into nigar seed feeding, you might want to buy a more expensive and better feeders with feeding trays.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back