• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finches just stare at the feeder (2 Viewers)

kuzeyy

Turkey
Hi!
I recently posted another thread about my feeder attracting single species, the great tit (Parus major).
Several days ago, I installed two new feeders for finch species, one has Nyjer seeds, the other has sunflower hearts. However, today I noticed that finch species (mostly chaffinch) just perch around the feeder and they don’t feed, they just see and ignore the feeders. Great tits also had a similar behaviour, they just stayed around the feeders and they rarely ate from them.
Am I being impatient or is it because natural food sources are abundant?

Hi!
I recently posted another thread about my feeder attracting single species, the great tit (Parus major).
Several days ago, I installed two new feeders for finch species, one has Nyjer seeds, the other has sunflower hearts. However, today I noticed that finch species (mostly chaffinch) just perch around the feeder and they don’t feed, they just see and ignore the feeders. Great tits also had a similar behaviour, they just stayed around the feeders and they rarely ate from them.
Perhaps a little, certainly when it comes to the Niger seeds. I've tried unsuccessfully to offer this but failed. It can take weeks for them to be attracted to Niger seed feeders.
But once discovered, Goldfinches and Siskins will regularly visit to energetically feed till empty. Maybe just scatter a few around the ground under the new feeders to entice them.
Meanwhile is it possible to post some images of the repositioned feeders whilst your waiting, thank you.

Hi!
FWIW kuzeyy, it took two years for Goldfinch to use my Nyjer feeders….😮

Perhaps a little, certainly when it comes to the Niger seeds. I've tried unsuccessfully to offer this but failed. It can take weeks for them to be attracted to Niger seed feeders.
But once discovered, Goldfinches and Siskins will regularly visit to energetically feed till empty. Maybe just scatter a few around the ground under the new feeders to entice them.
Meanwhile is it possible to post some images of the repositioned feeders whilst your waiting, thank you.
I will post the images tomorrow, because it is night here.
I have 4 feeders on the closest tree (5-7 m from the window), which is a pine. These all are exclusively visited by great tits and coal tits, sometimes a robin comes if I offer mealworms. The new feeders are around 10-12 m from the window, I hanged them on two specific trees frequented by siskins and chaffinches. Nyjer seed feeder is on an apricot tree, sunflower heart feeder is on a cherry tree.
For scattering seeds, I'm concerned about hawks and falcons and also our irresponsible neighbours' cats.

Sounds as though you are doing the correct thing, moreso if cats are about. It could also be as you said, plenty of natural food nearby. Have you seen House Sparrows or finches feeding nearby?

Edit : So you have now have 6 feeders in total ? Maybe try taking away 2 of the ones nearest the window, for a while.

Last edited:
I changed my setup today and most of the birds visited but didn't feed. Usually takes a wee while before they get comfortable with changes. Pouring rain most of the day probably didn't help much either 😂

The exception to this were the blue tits, who went for the sunflower hearts and peanuts, didn't seem to care about things being different.

Sounds as though you are doing the correct thing, moreso if cats are about. It could also be as you said, plenty of natural food nearby. Have you seen House Sparrows or finches feeding nearby?

Edit : So you have now have 6 feeders in total ? Maybe try taking away 2 of the ones nearest the window, for a while.
Yes, I have 6 feeders in total.
For feeding, I regularly see siskins feed on birch and alder trees and pine cones. They visit the same trees everyday, just before dusk. I rarely see house sparrows and chaffinches feed. Chaffinches just perch on the same trees everyday, making the characteristic “ping” calls. House sparrows mostly eat food scraps and bird food (wheat to be specific) left out by people. Other than these species, I regularly see robins, goldcrests, chiffchaffs and blackbirds feed.

I changed my setup today and most of the birds visited but didn't feed. Usually takes a wee while before they get comfortable with changes. Pouring rain most of the day probably didn't help much either 😂

The exception to this were the blue tits, who went for the sunflower hearts and peanuts, didn't seem to care about things being different.
We also had mild rain here, all day. For me, the exception were great tits, who went for whole sunflower seeds, peanuts and sunflower hearts.

Yes, I have 6 feeders in total.
For feeding, I regularly see siskins feed on birch and alder trees and pine cones. They visit the same trees everyday, just before dusk. I rarely see house sparrows and chaffinches feed. Chaffinches just perch on the same trees everyday, making the characteristic “ping” calls. House sparrows mostly eat food scraps and bird food (wheat to be specific) left out by people. Other than these species, I regularly see robins, goldcrests, chiffchaffs and blackbirds feed.
Mmmm, my initial thoughts were that you should be able to attract the following species, broadly based on what visits my rural garden feeders but not knowing your type of location.
Great, Blue and Coal tit.
Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch.....perhaps Siskin. ( Have Serins ever been reported on feeders? ) Brambling at an outside chance.
Robin, House or Tree Sparrows.
Yellowhammer or Reed Bunting on spilled seed.

I also find that White, not Red, millet is favoured by the seed eaters.

Mmmm, my initial thoughts were that you should be able to attract the following species, broadly based on what visits my rural garden feeders but not knowing your type of location.
Great, Blue and Coal tit.
Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch.....perhaps Siskin. ( Have Serins ever been reported on feeders? ) Brambling at an outside chance.
Robin, House or Tree Sparrows.
Yellowhammer or Reed Bunting on spilled seed.

I also find that White, not Red, millet is favoured by the seed eaters.
Yes, we have all these species here :)

Also, here is a view from my back balcony. All the feeders are highlighted. Btw I live in a gated community

Attachments

• IMG_1549.jpeg
    IMG_1549.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
Also, here is a view from my back balcony. All the feeders are highlighted. Btw I live in a gated community
The habitat looks fine. The only recommendation is to perhaps hang one on the right hand tree of the image, from the limb leaning towards your window for a while but it is the other side of the fence.

The habitat looks fine. The only recommendation is to perhaps hang one on the right hand tree of the image, from the limb leaning towards your window for a while but it is the other side of the fence.
I just checked the public woodland neighbouring the gated community. The area is frequented by many bird species. Also, cats don’t go that far away from their owners. However, we have falcons, sparrowhawks, buzzards and foxes. I’m considering to move some of my feeders to that public woodland.

I just checked the public woodland neighbouring the gated community. The area is frequented by many bird species. Also, cats don’t go that far away from their owners. However, we have falcons, sparrowhawks, buzzards and foxes. I’m considering to move some of my feeders to that public woodland.
Good idea, try from the deciduous trees that are in open space but have nearby shelter for some protection from birds of prey or waiting cats. And hopefully where you can enjoy them. Don't forget a bird bath, even a large shallow dish in your garden with fresh water for them to drink and bathe.

Our Nyjer feeder is ignored mostly, until the sunflower seed runs out. THEN they go over to the Nyjer. Even Chickadees and Titmice will hang on it. Eventually, some goldfinches will find it and then, maybe, it'll get some action...

We have found when introducing Niger seeds that as there is a limited 'shelf life' for them , thus we decided that perhaps we needed to refresh the contents from time to time. Sometimes 'stale' seeds are investigated but then left. Consequently we keep our supply in sealed bags in the freezer and completely clean out and re-supply the feeder about once a month as a matter of course.

I’ve not seen finches in the garden for a few years. We get a lot of blue, great, and long-tail tits, robins, starlings, magpie, wood pigeon, ring/collar dove, house sparrows, and dunnock, but the finches seem to have abandoned us. From time to time see goldfinch in the trees near the feeders but they don’t come down, can’t remember when I last saw a greenfinch or chaffinch in the garden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back