• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oregon Holiday (1 Viewer)

IVAN P

Off to Oregon to visit family in september.As this is my first visit to the state,I would like some guidance as to where to go to get the most out of the trip "birding/photography " wise? Unfortunately my wife and i only have 7 days.We will be staying at Coos Bay,so i would guess we would be looking at a maximum of 2/3 hours driving to get where we should be at any one time. Checking the map there are so many places to see and visit,fantastic! if only we had more time.Thanks in anticipation.:hi:

Off to Oregon to visit family in september.As this is my first visit to the state,I would like some guidance as to where to go to get the most out of the trip "birding/photography " wise? Unfortunately my wife and i only have 7 days.We will be staying at Coos Bay,so i would guess we would be looking at a maximum of 2/3 hours driving to get where we should be at any one time. Checking the map there are so many places to see and visit,fantastic! if only we had more time.Thanks in anticipation.:hi:

In Coos Bay you can't go wrong. Just look out the window! Seriously, though ... along the Willamette River might be best for nearby species diversity. Or the Oregon Dunes for shore birds. Either way, or some other, you can't go wrong.

If you can do an overnight to the high desert of eastern Oregon, a trip to the Malheur Wildlife Refuge and/or Malheur Lake would be VERY well worth your while. It is on one of the major flyways of North America, and you must cross the Cascade Mountains to get there - yet another biome. The diversity in the Pacific Northwest is amazing; if you make it to the shore, and the desert via the mountains, you will literally have it all.

Last edited:
Thanks Robert,it looks as though we might have ourselves a serious birding and photography vacation coming up.Watch this space!
thanks again IVAN

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back