• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds possibly extinct still on lists (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Not sure where to put this thread, apologies if it already exists.

There must be several species on taxonomic lists that have not been seen for quite a long time but are not yet declared extinct. Anyone know if there is a list somewhere of, eg, birds with no confirmed/unconfirmed sightings for, say 20 years...50 years...more even, that are still present on the major taxonomic lists? I gather the lists even vary between them as to what is considered extinct (?)

If there isn't such a list, anyone up for starting one between us here?

I'll throw one in, how about

Red-throated Lorikeet (Fiji). Most recent sighting?

Slender-billed Curlew
Imperial Woodpecker
Ivory-billed Woodpecker
Alagoas Foliage-gleaner
Cryptic Treehunter
Po'o uli
Ou

Lots more!
Cheers, a

Atitlan Grebe. Somehow got myself quoted in literature once for recording a 'confirmed date' of extinction. A fancy way of saying I failed to find any about a year after they certainly had been seen.

The BirdLife Taxonomic Checklist gives Red List Categories, one of which is Critically Endangered (Possibly Extinct).

Species currently (v8, 2015) listed as CR (PE)...

New Caledonian Nightjar Eurostopodus exul
Jamaican Poorwill Siphonorhis americana
Turquoise-throated Puffleg Eriocnemis godini
Guadalupe Storm-petrel Hydrobates macrodactylus
Jamaican Petrel Pterodroma caribbaea
Eskimo Curlew Numenius borealis
New Caledonian Buttonquail Turnix novaecaledoniae
Imperial Woodpecker Campephilus imperialis
Sinu Parakeet Pyrrhura subandina
Ua Pou Monarch Pomarea mira
Olomao Myadestes lanaiensis
Ou Psittirostra psittacea
Nukupuu Hemignathus lucidus
Oahu Alauahio Paroreomyza maculata
Poo-uli Melamprosops phaeosoma
Bachman's Warbler Vermivora bachmanii
Hooded Seedeater Sporophila melanops

But BirdLife is very conservative when it comes to formally declaring extinction (or even possible extinction): many of these are almost certainly extinct ('probably', rather than 'possibly'?), and others should be added (as per earlier posts)...

Last edited:
What about species that exist only in captivity e.g Spix's Macaw, any others?
EW: Extinct in the Wild...

Alagoas Curassow Mitu mitu
Socorro Dove Zenaida graysoni
Guam Rail Hypotaenidia owstoni
Guam Kingfisher Todiramphus cinnamominus
Hawaiian Crow Corvus hawaiiensis

CR (PEW): Critically Endangered (Possibly Extinct in the Wild)...

Spix's Macaw Cyanopsitta spixii

Last edited:
Imperial Woodpecker

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but this reminded me of the claim in this report from last year:

"He showed me a pic of a dead IMPERIAL WOODPECKER, found dead two years ago. No live ones have been found, wherever it was. Cornell Univ evidently is in the know and following up on the find."

Anyone know anything about this? I asked around when I first heard this, and no one "in the know" knew anything.

Last edited:
EW: Extinct in the Wild...

Alagoas Curassow Mitu mitu
Socorro Dove Zenaida graysoni
Guam Rail Hypotaenidia owstoni
Guam Kingfisher Todiramphus cinnamominus
Hawaiian Crow Corvus hawaiiensis

CR (PEW): Critically Endangered (Possibly Extinct in the Wild)...

Spix's Macaw Cyanopsitta spixii

Guam Rail as been translocated to the island of Rota and is not to difficult to see there does that still count as extinct in the wild?

On a related theme, why do extinct species remain on current lists...
The four mainstream world checklists (H&M, BirdLife, IOC, eBird/Clements) include all avian species known to have existed since 1500, presumably on the basis that modern checklists should include all species recorded in modern times...

Guam Rail as been translocated to the island of Rota and is not to difficult to see there does that still count as extinct in the wild?
The BirdLife species factsheet details the translocation/introduction programme, but nevertheless still categorises the species as EW...
It remains classified as Extinct in the Wild until an introduced population becomes firmly established.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back