• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds possibly extinct still on lists (2 Viewers)

Kinglet Calyptura (Calyptura cristata) - last seen in 1996.

these were the kind of examples that I was hoping to get at. Maybe the list of species not yet recorded this century, or since 1990 even (and therefore potentially extinct) might be quite large? Admittedly several may well have not even been looked for.

...BirdLife is very conservative when it comes to formally declaring extinction (or even possible extinction)...
The following species are considered to be extinct by IOC but are not yet even categorised as Possibly Extinct by BirdLife...

Crested Shelduck Tadorna cristata - CR
Pink-headed Duck Rhodonessa caryophyllacea - CR
Himalayan Quail Ophrysia superciliosa - CR
Bogota Sunangel Heliangelus zusii - DD
Javan Lapwing Vanellus macropterus - CR
Glaucous Macaw Anodorhynchus glaucus - CR
New Caledonian Parakeet Charmosyna diadema - CR
Aguiguan (Nightingale) Reed Warbler Acrocephalus (luscinius) nijoi - CR
White-chested White-eye Zosterops albogularis - CR

Last edited:
Kinglet Calyptura (Calyptura cristata) - last seen in 1996.

I'd say there's a reasonable chance Kinglet Calyptura still exists.

What about Jerdon's Courser. Has it been reliably recorded this century? Possibly the first bird to become extinct twice!?

The following species are considered to be extinct by IOC but are not yet even categorised as Possibly Extinct by BirdLife...

Himalayan Quail Ophrysia superciliosa - CR

I think it's ludicrous for IOC to suggest the quail could be extinct when there hasn't been a single comprehensive survey done for the species considering the vast area that species could/did occur in.

I do, however, think that the lapwing is a goner unfortunately, having put in a considerable amount of time scouring areas for it.

James

Here's a few from Brazil:
Glaucous macaw,Anodorhynchus glaucus, critically endangered, possibly extinct
Spix's macaw, Cyanopsitta spixii, endemic, critically endangered, possibly extinct in wild

I'd say there's a reasonable chance Kinglet Calyptura still exists.

Sightings (three) subsequent to 1996 are detailed in Lambert & Kirwan (2006: https://www.researchgate.net/public..._for_the_Kinglet_Calyptura_Calyptura_cristata) and Kirwan & Green (2011). I think at least two of them must be taken seriously. There’s no documentation for either, but that’s true for Oct 1996 too.

What about Jerdon's Courser. Has it been reliably recorded this century? Possibly the first bird to become extinct twice!?

Leaving aside the physical impossibility for any organism to actually become extinct twice, the calyptura is arguably as good a candidate as any of a bird species that seemed to come back from the dead, only to disappear again. But, in any case, it seems the courser has been seen comparatively recently: http://www.hbw.com/species/jerdons-courser-rhinoptilus-bitorquatus

As for Sporophila melanops, the long-delayed paper on that wee beastie should appear reasonably soon.

They should be retained because current listers will have seen some of them: I suggest 100 years after extinction should be a safe time to archive such species. ;)

John
Leave them on their permanently, to avoid 'shifting baseline syndrome' where new generations come to see reduced species variety / density as normal rather an abnormality caused by humans.

The difficulty with the Courser as I understand it, is the almost impossible task of aquiring a permit to look for it!?

Andy

The difficulty with the Courser as I understand it, is the almost impossible task of aquiring a permit to look for it!?

Andy

Three days in Hyderabad back in 1994, then another day in another local town for another permit. I guess it may have changed since!

cheers, a

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back