• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why use objective covers? (1 Viewer)

So Zeiss made the case large enough for all that stuff to go inside. The answer is a large case.

This large case has a strap? Now you have two straps?
I also see that Zeiss' case is semi rigid (molded). This makes it the same size whether it is empty or not. A large, semi rigid case, with a strap.

I greatly prefer a buckle-type soft case, even if the zip case will hold all the goodies.
The one on the left is made by Vortex and was purchased to house my Trinovids. The one on the right is made by Leupold and was purchased to house my Endeavors.

Nice cases you have there Kevin.

The Zeiss case is just large enough for the bins/rainguard/strap to go inside so thats just perfect for me. And I prefer separate straps for bins and carrying case as the length of neck strap I need for my binos is very different from the length of the shoulder strap I need for the carry case.

Folks have widely differing desires for their cases and everybody thinks their idea is the correct one. If we sometimes think the bino brands do mad things its probably because we customers have driven them mad demanding that bino cases can carry bins, rainguard, strap, objective covers, field guide and notebook (and for all I know a big Stanley vacuum flask) one moment and then complaining the cases are too big the following day.

Lee

Hi,

I usually can't be bothered to use objective covers on bins - they reside along with the paperwork in the box. The bins are put in the pouch when they're carried in a bag and just the rainguard when they're used.

The only exception are my beater pair of Pentax DCF 8x32 ED which have Swaro style dangling covers. At first they were very hard to put on and remove - this has gotten better with time and now it's quite convenient to just put these on and together with a well fitting aftermarket rainguard and strap wrapped around they go into the bag. They are a well armored pair though and they were cheap (at least when I got them).

Joachim

Last edited:
Since I received my first quality bino 40 years ago I have always used neckstraps and rainguards but never used (or missed) objective covers and bags.

Less is more when it comes to objective covers. If they flip open nicely, I'm fine with that....tho I use them mostly when the bins ride in my backpack in the car on the way to a trailhead.

I have the Zeiss SF and the objective covers attach to a small strap, are easy to remove, and they don't get in the way. I put them on when I go indoors or anytime I want a little more protection of the objectives. For example if I'm doing anything unusual such as climbing over a rock or something.

The case is less useful, but it's nice added protection for travel. I don't need to worry about it in a backpack. Plus I can put a small amount of lense cleaner wipes in there if I need one before I start my trip.

The top covers are also attached to the binoculars and are handy if it's raining a little and there's a burst of extra rain and there is a pause in birding.

I also attach a microfiber cloth that tucks into a little neoprene sack. All of this hangs freely and doesn't get in the way.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back