• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waterproofness and your use of binoculars (2 Viewers)

If you are active, they need to be waterproof.
Depends on what you mean by „active“.
On the boat, of course.
Other watersport activities: same.
Being outside in hail and storm: idem.
But otherwise, splashproof gets you very far.

I did a large part of my military service with my splashproof 1970s Trinovid 10x40 around my neck, and had them always on, irrespective of the conditions, so much so that the soldiers gave me the nickname „officier jumelles“ (French for „Binocular Officer“). The Trinovid never let me down, I still have it:

I did a large part of my military service with my splashproof 1970s Trinovid 10x40 around my neck, and had them always on, irrespective of the conditions, so much so that the soldiers gave me the nickname „officier jumelles“ (French for „Binocular Officer“).
Hey, it would be cool under your nickname !! ;)

officier.jpg

I always had my Broadhurst Clarkson drawtube 25x-40x55 scope in its leather case over my shoulder and was called 'Telescope man'.

From age 15.

Used easily handheld to follow aircraft, birds or anything..

Nobody else had such a thing at that time.

It still looks almost new.

Not waterproof, but never had fungus, only dust.

Regards,
B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back