• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What to Do??? (1 Viewer)

Chickadeedeedee

Hi! Me again. :eek!:

I started feeding the birds a few weeks ago. I *LOVE* seeing our feathered friends! I have missed being able to do so for more than a year on a regular basis.

Due to health and financial issues we have not been able to indulge in the luxury of getting seed and suet as we had enjoyed for soooo many years. We had been able to stock 17 feeders + all year. And now I can fill 2 feeders once daily to the delight of the birds ... and us!

But ... I'm not sure we can keep feeding them on a regular basis and with winter coming up and the heavy snow and cold ... I don't want them to sit around with toes crossed that they will get fed.

Should we stop feeding them now so they find other feeders or pray we hit the lottery so we can continue to enjoy feeding the birds?

I'm thinkin', in what is left of my brain, that the kindest thing to do would be to stop feeding them now . :-C

Thoughts? Suggestions? :-C

Hi again Lydia... just back with a couple of initial thoughts.

You really can only ever spend what you're comfortable with. Why don't you stop feeding through the autumn when there's plenty of natural food available, save a bit of money due to that, then feed only what you can afford to during the hardest weather.

The birds will manage fine - they'll look for other resources. It's you that will miss them being around.

Hi Lydia,
Sorry to hear things are not going so well for you at the moment, but I agree with Delia we can only do as much as our finances allow, also that the wildlife we like to pamper is very resilient, and we shouldn't blame ourselves when we cannot do as much as we would like. Good luck with the lottery and in the unlikely event that I win I'll send you a few bob.
Keep smiling

George

Hi and thanks for the recommendations! It's tough to ignore the scolding Chickadees and the Cardinals who complain there is little to no food in the feeders. :-C And somehow we did manage to feed them daily, though only two feeders once or twice daily, through the month and still have money left! :eek!: Yeah ... well ... we got a little skinnier ourselves ... LOL!

We DID start to put aside some $$ toward the BFF : (birdy food fund).

Mike (OH) suggested to NOT pay any bills until springtime and just send everyone a note that says we will be spending our money more wisely by feeding our bird guests over the winter. Hmmmmmm.... I am not the brightest person but think that may not go over well with the utility people and others. :-O

Thanks! Letcha know (before the electricity is shut off!) ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back