• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Pigeon and the Egg (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
Firstly, yes, it's a Feral Pigeon... I like Pigeons, and I like to observe their behaviour. I see this a few times a year, but I don't bother posting pics, as I'm well aware of how most people think of these birds. But as the egg looks intact (which it's not), I thought I'd post a couple of pics that I took this afternoon. Pics through the double glazing, but they're clear enough.

So, sometimes the bird incubating the egg cracks it (there can be other causes), and the Albumen leaks out. The Albumen is sticky, so sticks to the bird that cracked it. The egg sticks quite firmly to the feathers, especially as the bird might be on the egg for hours without realising it's cracked. When the bird swaps places with it's partner for nest duties, it flies off with the egg stuck to it's feathers, leaving it's partner confused.

Eventually the egg will come loose, as more of the liquid leaks out and the shell cracks open. It will often fall off a bit at a time, but can drop off all at once. Only problem is the bird is carrying a weight that restricts movement and agility, so it's at risk from predation, though most I've seen have survived.

Attachments

• DSC00521Rp900n2.jpg
    DSC00521Rp900n2.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00564RP900n2.jpg
    DSC00564RP900n2.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 23
Goodness Chris.... great observations from you. I've never seen this before.

Wonder if it's only feral pigeons that it happens to? I don't see many of them here ... in fact just seen my first of the year out in the countryside this afternoon!

I've a feeling this will happen with any bird species, Delia... especially first-time nesters. Actually, I'd imagine something similar happened with Raptors 50 years ago with the shell-thinning caused by DDT etc - although I've not researched it, so just guessing.

This probably explains why I found an almost intact woodpigeon egg in the middle of my front lawn recently. It had not fallen from any nest site as there are no trees in the vicinity. it is not uncommon for birds to remove the remains of hatched egg shells and deposit them some distance from the nest (so as not to attract attention of predators) but this was, as stated almost intact. Neither for the same reason did it look like it had been taken from a nest by a magpie or something as it had not been broken up.

thanks for this intriguing insight Chris.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back