• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Predator" at feeders (1 Viewer)

MaineBirder

Early this morning I was sitting at my desk near the window that overlooks my feeders, and heard the unmistakable harsh "keeeeeeeerr" of a Red-tailed Hawk. I rushed to the window and scanned the treetops and sky, but only found a Blue Jay sitting in a poplar tree near the feeders. The American Tree Sparrows, juncos and chickadees that were feeding all scattered into different directions. I scanned some more, but found nothing.

Thinking I had missed whatever it was, I turned away from the window, but heard the "keeeeeeer" again, along with a rapid series of "kree kree kree." Momentarily puzzled, I stayed at the window for a few moments and finally spotted the culprit: the Blue Jay. It gave a few more "keeeeer" calls and descended onto the feeders.

I was amazed by the perfect Red-tailed Hawk imitation this jay gave. I've read about Blue Jays doing this before to frighten other birds, in turn getting food for themselves, but never expected to have one do it in my own yard.

Ahh, aren't birds great? =-)
Cheers

Ahh, aren't Crows great!

A great observation that, and thanks for posting it.

In Europe including the UK, I have heard of the Eurasion Jay making a popping sound if they see someone carrying what they think is a gun. When one bird gives this alarm sound, all the Jays within hearing distance stay silent and hidden!

Whoever came up with the saying "Bird Brain" wasn't really correct.

Cheers.

Steve,
Do you recall the TV prog from way back 'Bird Brain of Britain' - sort of like an avian assault course / Mastermind.

Tony

I very often hear Jays here in France doing a very good imatation of a Buzzard. It all goes quiet in the forest! Although I have no proof, I've figured out it is to scare off potential competitors for the food supply. Your observation confirms that, at first I figured it was a practical Joker!!!!!

jays

I have the same problem with Jays. I never know if it is a Jay or another species. One of mine is always imitating the red-bellied woody. My husbands swears that Jay laughs at me when I go charging out to see the "other" bird only to see Mr. Jay looking at me.
Bad enough the mocker can and does fool me constantly with his vast repretoire.
At least these birds keep us on our toes and gives us exercise jumping up and running outside.

TOny,

Yes I do.

If I remember correctly, it mainly applied to Blue Tit's. They followed the progress of several birds in solving progressively harder "puzzle feeders" where matchticks had to be removed in the correct sequence.

The feeders were clear, so the birds could see the progression of the food, but had to use insight (anthropomorphic I know) to work out the next stage.

To cut a long story short, they eventually succeeded.

By the way, this reminds me. During the seventies and eighties, Blue Tit's removed the foil tops of milk bottles left on the doorstep to get at the cream. I heard one theory that the spread of this phenomenon was so fast, that it couldn't have been by observed behaviour, but could be by (this sounds crazy) telepathy!?

I suspect that this "theory" has now been disregarded.

Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back