• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A good quality mid price bin (1 Viewer)

rfc1

My bro-in-law just asked me if vortex diamondbacks were any good and i had no idea. I only have dealings with Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica. He asked what would be a good quality low light binocular and i told him one of the three i mentioned above but he has serious issues with price. What binocularwould you recommend with a big field of view, sharp view and good for low light? It can be porro or roof, 8 to 10x and something that won't break the bank, suggestions needed... This binocular will be used for deer hunting not birding.

Hello rfc1

You can still find the Nikon Monarch X 8.5x45 on closeout for about $300.00 which will do all that is required in spades, if that would be within budget. I own one and after a lengthy comparison with a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 kept it, the Nikon, for a number of reasons, mainly a balance of ergos that suit me. It is a bino that may not suit birders due to fairly apparent CA, to which I am very sensitive, but which is not an issue at daybreak or in falling light.

8.5x45 is a fertile field and there are a number of useful choices.

Best wishes,

The Vortex 8x42 Diamondback is a good, very rugged binocular with a wide field of view and a stated eye relief of 18mm, but check it out if you wear glasses to make sure it works for you. I have one and it is well worth the $219.99 price charged. I recall that its prism coatings were improved at least one time since it was introduced to increase its brightness.

It has over 50 5 star reviews on the Eagle Optics website; a large number, which indicates it is a best seller. A number of the reviews are by people who used it for hunting. Eagle Optics, which is connected with Vortex, gives purchasers a 30 day right to return the binocular for any reason so inquire about that too. You can try it to see if it works with your glasses.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocula...back-8x42-binocular?tab=customer_reviews#tabs

Bob

Last edited:
Not a expect but maybe and off the Vanguard Endeavour EDI or EDII. I own the EDI and it does everything you want in bucket loads.
I have tried the EDII and personally the closest you will get to any of the Alphas for under £399.00, don't know the prices your side of the pond but last time i looked they were more off less giving the old EDI away for very low prices plus cash back.
Hope that helps

Damian

For around $250, the Vanguard Endeavor ED that has already been suggested is one of the best you will find. It will knock the stink out of a Vortex Diamondback, and most others in that price range. I believe that the 8x42 has a rebate promo going on right now.

For a bit over $350, a demo Zen-Ray ED3 is the best choice I know of. These provide a very bright and sharp image. You can find demos at their website, and occasionally at the cameralandny site.

For around $500, the new Vanguard Endeavor EDII is one of the better choices right now. From what I've read, you would have to spend a lot more money just to get slightly better bino.

Lastly - the Cabela's-branded version of the Leupold Mojave is a very good bino that is a very good buy when they are on sale. I don't remember the model name, but a quick search on their website should come up with it. I've seen them for around $269. They have a slightly smaller footprint than the Vanguards, and they handle very nicely.

I haven't tried these, but the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD is generally pretty well regarded, and with the current rebate offer (ends 11/16), can be had for around $129.

I see that the 8x42 can be had for $105, after rebate. Quite a deal.

There is a possible catch to this deal. B&H doesn't have them in stock, and will not ship or bill until they receive them. This could conflict with getting the rebate, which states the binoculars must be purchased by 11/16.

Last edited:
I really love the Leopold Mckinley's especially if you need a 42 for low light and will be wearing glasses. They are heavy but the image quality is really outstanding. The first issued model can be found for less than $500 if you look around. If you don't need the extra low light abilities then the 8x32 leupold mojaves are just about as good as the Mckinley's but much much smaller and lighter, and also cheaper. The sweat spot is smaller but just as sharp, maybe even a little bit sharper in the middle.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back