• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kites in Cheshire? (1 Viewer)

pgwp

I know what I saw!
Hi All,

I saw a pair of Red Kite near Macclesfield in Cheshire, I was very surpised, are they new to the area. I am just intrested to find out if there is more about than I thought outside their area's of Mid Wales, M40, Leeds.

regards Phil

Red Kite is still a rare bird in Cheshire - please make sure you send the record in It is however off the list of birds needing a description as of this year - Oh and welcome to Bird Forum

http://www.ukbis.net/cawos/cawosportal.htm

try this - the site is a little old - but the records submission stuff is mostly ok

Except that Hugh Pulsford deals with BBRC birds, and I deal with county rarities :) Red Kite isn't one these days, and assuming you are happy with electronic submission, the rest of the info is ok!

Last edited:
It isn't unusual to see red kites these days outside of the reintroduction areas, (Chilterns (Oxon/Bucks), Northants, Yorkshire, and Gateshead in England). Quite often, they are non breeding birds, who can and do sometimes have 'a wander', before usually returning to their natal area for breeding in their 2nd/3rd year.

The latest reintroduction is taking place in Aberdeen, Scotland.

Hope this helps.

As Jane says - rare in Cheshire - but it is on my garden list - unfortunately I wasn't there at the time - my sister saw it! (I'd stopped at the shops on the way home & arrived 10 mins. later)
Was this today Phil?

PS Welcome to BF Phil.

Hi Halftwo,

I saw them at 5.30pm, thursday 22nd May at Nether Alderley, west of Macclesfield. If I see them again I will be intouch.

Thanks for the welcome, regards Phil

Thanks Phil,
There was a long-ish staying one at Tatton Park years ago - managed to connect once with that.
Nice to know there were two this time - wonder if they're a pair? (bit late for breeding this year though)
Cheers,
H
Nether Alderley seems a fairly good habitat anyway.

About 2 years ago I saw a single bird over the M56, near Frodsham. My old man also saw one about 8 years ago just South of Chester, which was, at the time, pretty amazing.

There have been several records this year from the Wildboar Clough area - fairly near Macclesfield. Theres also been 1 or 2 birds around the Crewe, Nantwich, Middlewich area. A semi leucistic bird was photographed in the same area last year but this 'one' appears normal. I saw one Thursday just west of J18 off the M6 Thursday about 15.00? Could be the same bird as yours Marcus!

I've seen 2 around my house in Great Sutton over the last few years and others have reported birds in the near vicinity flying over the M56 / M53 interchange at Stanney.

They certainly seem to be getting commoner in Cheshire!

Last edited:
which is why they are off the rarity list ;) Still rare as rocking horse sh!t on north Wirral, unlike Ospreys, which are ten a penny.

Agree there Jane Ospreys now annual! We had one off Hilbre last Wednesday between the Islands and the Welsh coast. Its a poor spring if we don't get at least 3 -4 Osprey sightings over the Wirral.

Solitary red kite at intersection of M53 & M56 26.03.10 14:20 hrs

Hi All,

I saw a pair of Red Kite near Macclesfield in Cheshire, I was very surpised, are they new to the area. I am just intrested to find out if there is more about than I thought outside their area's of Mid Wales, M40, Leeds.

regards Phil

Solitary red kite at intersection of M53 & M56 on 26.03.10 at 14 20 and also at 17.00

Regards

EGP

I always thought Chesire would be ideal for a Red Kite re-introduction. There has not really been any re-introduction in the West of England whilst the East got 3. Could you count the Chilterns as the West?

I always thought Chesire would be ideal for a Red Kite re-introduction. There has not really been any re-introduction in the West of England whilst the East got 3. Could you count the Chilterns as the West?

Seems odd how the NW has missed out. Whilst they're probably hoping either the Welsh birds move NE or the Leeds ones spread west its doubtful either will happen any day soon. It'd be good to see a release in North Cheshire, Gtr Manchester or even North Lancs.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back