• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travellingbirder....?? (2 Viewers)

Phew..........thank goodness for that! I would not have been able to do our 'round the world' birding year, last year without all the fabulous reports on travelling birder that we used. Many thanks for whoever spent the time getting back up and running. I look forward to using the site once again.
Good birding
Sue

Phew..........thank goodness for that! I would not have been able to do our 'round the world' birding year, last year without all the fabulous reports on travelling birder that we used. Many thanks for whoever spent the time getting back up and running. I look forward to using the site once again.
Good birding
Sue

that is good news- if anyone has a line into the now perky again Travelling Birder, might an idea to suggest that like this fine forum, there is provision for voluntary "supporter" status

Having tried to find trip reports from the Web you realise just how much info there is available at travelling birder!! "You don't miss it till its gone they say"
I agree with the earlier posting lets all try support it as much as possible!!
One last thing 'Phew' we are all so glaqd its back!!!!

Andy Latham

Though the demise of TB would have been a loss, independent bird travel was/is still relative easy to plan without the site, albeit sometimes more time-consuming. The point being that many excellent resources remain out there beyond even TB. This said, and despite TB's return, I would still say it not a bad idea to 'tidy' and build upon Bird Forum's trip reports section, and establish it as a worthy site in itself (insurance against another vanishing act and another resource in itself).

Last edited:
Though the demise of TB would have been a loss, independent bird travel was/is still relative easy to plan without the site, albeit sometimes more time-consuming. The point being that many excellent resources remain out there beyond even TB. This said, and despite TB's return, I would still say it not a bad idea to 'tidy' and build upon Bird Forum's trip reports section, and establish it as a worthy site in itself (insurance against another vanishing act and another resource in itself).

Here's a great example of a new alternative I've just started using http://aussiebirding.wildiaries.com/trips/10675
Very innovative and easy to use.
:t:

There are still some problems left. The three reports I uploaded three days ago are not yet on the list. Also, the system does not count hits.

Looking at all this activity made me think a little about how I plan trips myself and what's really useful to me, as an independent traveller. When I research places to go I'm interested in (a) where the hot spots are, and (b) what the species will be and (c) when I stand the best chances of seeing what I want. Lastly, I'm interested in the practicalities of where to stay and if there's a particularly good local guide I might want to hook up with. Essentially, I'm looking for information that in the UK or somewhere similar might be found in a 'where to what birds in...' type of thing, and I suspect that's fairly typical - I need a minute by minute account of seeing bird A followed by bird B, but Joe missing bird C far less (which is also the most tedious bit to write too, I should think!). And I find that out here in TZ, using trip reports for anywhere beyond the two standard routes (Southern / Eastern forests and nothern circuit) gets you nowhere, as everyone goes to the same place - or at least you have to search through dozens of reports before you find one that did something even slightly different. So, whilst I'm pleased to see the travelling birder site is available again, I'm wondering if there's enough interest here on BF to collate site information much better?

Opus already has country and site information for some places, but it's very thin - Tanzania has only one site (Serengeti National Park - I did some work on this site description, so it might be a bit useful now - it's far from complete, but does give some idea of how even a little effort - much less than a trip report requires - can provide something that I can't see anywhere else on the internet). Despite this they're already rather heaviliy visited pages - over 3600 hits to the Serengeti Park page. If there were enough people willing to put some effort in, it would be easy to extract some information from the top of trip reports on sites visited and start to collate this information. I don't think there's a similar resource anywhere I know of, and I think there's be quite a lot of value - especially if you want to break out of the standard routes. If there's enough interest I'll start on the bits of TZ I know best, others can do more elsewhere!

What do you think? Is this a niche within BF that could usefully be expanded -will people use it? Will they contribute?!

BTW the proporton of people who obviously use these resources but clearly haven't submitted any reports themselves (or they'd know how it works) is a little sad - come on everyone, share your experiences!

[BTW the proporton of people who obviously use these resources but clearly haven't submitted any reports themselves (or they'd know how it works) is a little sad - come on everyone, share your experiences![/QUOTE]

I have to admit, I'm guilty of this but I'll always respond privately to people who ask me for gen, and I do usually put a summary report on my website.

What would be very useful to me, is someway of filtering out the reports from tour companies -these can be useful but are on their websites -and possibly ones where people hired a guide, and so the gen tends to be vague.

Or possibly a list of people who are willing to give gen for certain countries. They could get overwhelmed so it should be on the condition that the enquirer had made a reasonable attempt to find out the main stuff for themselves and is just filling in gaps?

I'll always respond privately to people who ask me for gen, and I do usually put a summary report on my website.

Or possibly a list of people who are willing to give gen for certain countries. They could get overwhelmed so it should be on the condition that the enquirer had made a reasonable attempt to find out the main stuff for themselves and is just filling in gaps?

I guess lots of us do this too, so we've already written a lot of the stuff. It would be much more efficient and prevent overwhelming folk in interesting places if we just did it once and pointed everyone to that... So, in an effort to see how easy it would be to include that information on a site page on Opus I just created one for Arusha NP, since it's on my doorstep: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Arusha_National_Park
It took me just over an hour, and it's not complete by any means. A lot of that time was actually tracing species links that didn't go anywhere and making the name changes that were required (irritating, I agree!). Nice to have them, but probably optional really - just to get the information down took about 40mins. Not too bad, and I think what I've put there would have been much more useful to me than anything I've read in a trip report. What do you think?

Anyone else willing to put some effort in?

Anyone else willing to put some effort in?

I think the issue is more that there are many potential sites to add your reports and information to, it is difficult to say at present that any one place is certainly better (at present, I would say Opus isn't the obvious choice, but Travelling Birder probably comes close, or maybe the BirdTours site), so like Steve I would say I am guilty of not adding to Travelling Birder for example. It is not through lack of effort per se, but more through selective effort ;) I have added my reports to Bird Forum trip reports, also to OSME for example, but given each submission to each site takes time, then obviously most persons are not going to trawl the internet and add to sites ever after.

To submit to Travelling Birder requires conversion to PDF which, though perhaps is easy, I have never done, so again would take time.

I think the issue is more that there are many potential sites to add your reports and information to, it is difficult to say at present that any one place is certainly better (at present, I would say Opus isn't the obvious choice, but Travelling Birder probably comes close, or maybe the BirdTours site),

What I was suggesting is that actually the traditional trip report might not be the most useful thing for others anyway - instead of expending effort giving daily blow-by-blow account, put more effort into site details that can easily be accessed. If you only visit well-known sites, you'd only have to check that the site details are still the same as you found, and add any stake-outs you might have found. Much less effort if you only visited regularly visited sites, and much less repetition of the same information for someone trying to find information on that site. If you've gone somewhere new, then it's a bit more work to generate a new site (still, useful things can be done in an hour - I did another on Tarangire National Park last night, here). But it would be much easier for someone else to find than search through 100s of trip reports to see where everyone's been.

This approach is definitely where a wiki system (like Opus) is going to be more useful than just a huge collection of 1000s of trip reports, I'd have thought...

What I was suggesting is that actually the traditional trip report might not be the most useful thing for others anyway - instead of expending effort giving daily blow-by-blow account, put more effort into site details that can easily be accessed...

Ah, a slight misunderstanding on my part, apologies.

Still, I think there are advantages of both types of report, the traditional trip reports giving a lot of ideas regarding potential routes and a more countrywide approach, where people have connected with individual species in limited time, etc.

In-depth individual site reports offer much greater info on the full potential of a site, but often will not necessarily point you to the best locality for particular species. Also, obviously depending on how well they are written, sometimes indicate all the species possible, but not really how likely a given species is in a limited time.

I prefer traditional reports for planning, site reports for homework for fine tuning, i.e. both good. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back