• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Society of Wildlife Art 2009 (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

We are interested in attending 'The Society of wildlife Artists' this year on the 22nd September 2009 2-8pm - opening by Chris Packham.

Anyone showing their paintings at all. Is anyone going this year. o:):-O

Bit difficult for me to go this year (again), but I'll have six pictures there this time, looks like sending in smaller ones worked! These are they...
Hope you have a great day out there if you decide to go. They're doing a little thing on peter Scott and the Galàpagos this year.

Attachments

• 2011.jpg
    2011.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 98
  • beeeater%20002.jpg
    beeeater%20002.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 109
  • redos%20007.jpg
    redos%20007.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 107
  • sandpipers.jpg
    sandpipers.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 98
  • sangliers%20002.jpg
    sangliers%20002.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 111
Hi Nick

Looking good in the painting department with the additional attachments shown here.

Your paintings are all excellent by the way. Will look out for them. :-O

:t::t:

Bit difficult for me to go this year (again), but I'll have six pictures there this time, looks like sending in smaller ones worked! These are they...
Hope you have a great day out there if you decide to go. They're doing a little thing on peter Scott and the Galàpagos this year.

What a treat it would be to see these in person Nick!! Stunning! I wish I could be there to see them.

I'll certainly be going along a couple of times. Already looking forward to seeing those bee-eaters 'in the flesh'.

Mike

Whoo eee Nick, congratulations 6 works is fantastic...and well deserved, I think they are all stand outs, but the one that sends me is the ducks and swallows rushing across the page.

Fabulous work Nick - and just one step away from full membership. No amount of gushing from me would ever convey the effect that seeing these pieces has on the viewer's spirit - just beautiful interpretation of the natural world.

Hi Nick - everyone

My OH and I are going to the exhibition this Monday. Looking forward to it.

I have shown OH your pictures, Nick, so we will be watching for them. :t:

Has anyone been yet?. Is anyone going on Monday?

I will be the one on crutches for anyones information {wink}

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Popped along on Friday for a first look. It's a strong exhibition this year lots of super stuff so I'll be gioing back at least a couple more times, maybe even Monday around luchtime. I'll keep my eyes open for birdwatchers on crutches!

Nick's work is instantly recognisable and seems to jump off the walls so you'll see it alright! And don't forget to look out for Ads' and Szabi's work too

Mike

Popped along on Friday for a first look. It's a strong exhibition this year lots of super stuff so I'll be gioing back at least a couple more times, maybe even Monday around luchtime. I'll keep my eyes open for birdwatchers on crutches!

Nick's work is instantly recognisable and seems to jump off the walls so you'll see it alright! And don't forget to look out for Ads' and Szabi's work too

Mike

Hi Mike

Looking good at the moment, and I will keep my eye out for the mentioned painters pictures.

Monday lunchtime sounds good, All I can say you will know me, as I will be walking on two crutches. Please say hello to me if you wish anytime :t::t::t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Nice little jaunt down to the SWLA this lunchtime.

The Derry Mallards looking very especially fine.

As in previous years, the emphasis strongly away from the ultra-realistic or the traditional: so ironic to see a big pile of books by Terry Isaac for sale, despite the fact that if he submitted one of his nice 'n' furry wolf pics to SWLA, it probably wouldn't get in. ;) Perhaps related to this, an all time low Barn Owl count... zero so far as I could see. I need to check the SWLA website to see whether they have been formally banned.

A very nice surprise was various Paul Henery works (he of the wonderful ultra-wet Black-necked Grebe watercolours) including a huge Snow Bunting canvas, plus a Ringed Plover n beached whale charcoal. Other personal favourites were a Matthew Hillier egret in strong backlight, conventional topic and scene but absolutely brilliantly executed (and certainly it is in the most lavish frame of the show, which may go part way to explaining £3,800 price tag); a Robert Greenhalf Shelduck woodcut- slightly grittier, more textured than say a Greg Poole or a Gillmor; Juan Simo watercolours; some Threlfalls; some brill Darren Woodhead stuff.

A very engaging and entertaining review Ed - I like the idea of barn owls being officially vetoed, with the judging panel kicking flocks of them out the door and onto TheMall simply because they're barnies.
Maybe the Hillier piece is £3800 because he's had to take into account the 45% commission (plus the 15% vat on top of that commission), extravagant frame and transportation costs (both ways if it doesn't sell). If it does, he'll look to make about a grand or so for the painting? Funny you should pick out Nick's mallards too - I was just looking at and admiring that one meself, earlier in the day.

Just want to say. I was really impressed by all the artwork that was seen yesterday (my visit), and I really hope whatever happens, an award of any artwork is going to pay of in the future. :-O:-O

Nick your pictures where fabulous, and you won my vote anyday! ;):t:

Not to say every picture was just as otherwise.

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
Glad that all who made it enjoyed, I'm going to make the little bit of extra effort to pop over for next year's exhibition. Interesting about the lack of Barn Owls, NEWA was full of them, but the SWLA seems to hold a good percentage of the country's Lapwing population to make up for that.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back