• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding software and a PDA (1 Viewer)

Marcus Conway - ebirder

I am thining about buying an old PDA and whacking on it bwpi or BB' or something, but am a bit confused. Would also like to have bird sounds on there too, would have been handy to know icky call earlier this week for example.

What are the options??

Plan on using it in the field instead of books rather than as a refernce when I get home.

I am thining about buying an old PDA and whacking on it bwpi or BB' or something, but am a bit confused. Would also like to have bird sounds on there too, would have been handy to know icky call earlier this week for example.

What are the options??

Plan on using it in the field instead of books rather than as a refernce when I get home.

Look at E Guides at this site.

http://www.wildsounds.com/

POP

Thanks all. Waht about PDA recommendations. I am thining I just need an old one off ebay - what should I be looking out for?

I would say a big screen and battery life... Erm.

The RAM in the PDA will be important, not enough and the program will be so slow as to be unusable.
My PDA is a Dell Axim and has 64Mb of RAM, which runs the Collins e guide quite happily.
OS will be an issue not sure all the e guides will run in both Palm OS and Windows Mobile.

I use the PDA and eguides from Wild Sounds very good as the eguides is the Collins Birdguide probebly one of the best books you can get, you get the full book, calls, song as well and a very handy bird log.

Just thought is there an option for one that would also act as a memory card reader. I may need to download from some sandick whilst in the field...

too many birds with one stone?

Just thought is there an option for one that would also act as a memory card reader. I may need to download from some sandick whilst in the field...

too many birds with one stone?

My PDA has slots for both SD and CF cards, so I can swop files from one card to the other. I suppose if you got a PDA with twin card slots and a big enough CF card you could unload your SD card to the CF card in the field.

i use a mio 168 with the rsbp software this works grate also it has a satnav
i use memory map to fined my way around and co pilot to get me there

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back