• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Francolinus swainsonii grilli" ... ?!? (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
And by the way: What taxon (species alt. subspecies) is equal of "Francolinus swainsonii grilli"?!?

And where was it described? By whom?

According to Avibase (here) it´s a synonym of Swainson's Spurfowl nominate ssp. (Francolinus) Pternistis swainsonii swainsonii SMITH 1836.

I´ve never heard of it ... until I spotted it in that list of synonyms!

Anyone who know?

Björn
-

Last edited:
And by the way: What taxon (species alt. subspecies) is equal of "Francolinus swainsonii grilli"?!?

And where was it described? By whom?

According to Avibase (here) it´s a synonym of Swainson's Spurfowl nominate ssp. (Francolinus) Pternistis swainsonii swainsonii SMITH 1836.

I´ve never heard of it ... until I spotted it in that list of synonyms!

Anyone who know?

Björn
-

If the Reference in Avibase is correct Preliminary description of sixty-six new forms of South African birds in Annals of the Transvaal Museum.

Yes, Martin, but ... I know ... but; isn´t that "Pternistis swainsoni gilli" ROBERTS 1932?

Without the r, in "grilli". See attached excerpt.

Simply typo/s?

Björn

PS. Where (on Earth) did you find the References for Avibase!? :eek!:
--

Attachments

• P. s. gilli ROBERTS 1932.jpg
    P. s. gilli ROBERTS 1932.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Yes, Laurent, but ... I know ... but; isn´t that "Pternistis swainsoni gilli" ROBERTS 1932?

Without the r, in "grilli". See attached excerpt.

Simply typo/s?

Björn

PS. Where (on Earth) did you find the References for Avibase!? :eek!:
--

If you look at the record in Avibase you can read:

Order:
Galliformes
Family:
Phasianidae
Genus:
Pternistis
Scientific:
Pternistis swainsonii gilli

Citation:
Roberts, 1932

Reference:
Ann.TransvaalMus. 15, p. 23

Protonym:
Pternistis swainsoni gilli

The rest seems just a typo in the section Other synonyms.

Last edited:
Thanks Martin, but that much (the basics) I´ve figured out ;), I use it (Avibase's references to various ODs) as well as Zoonomen's dittos, just about every second day ...

My question was where (and if) we, as well, can find references for all synonyms listed in the various entries, on Avibase itself.

I believed you had found a List of References (similar to the Key's), of all References, every single one, used in compiling the multitude of names and their synonyms, listed on Avibase. It was such an all-embracing List of References, that I hadn't found ... and was hoping for.
--

Last edited:
I´ve been trying to find this "grilli" all over the internet, with no success, thereby (and with no other replies) I think it´s fair to assume (also as Jobling has done nothing on this name in the Key, and I have noted he´s been busy both there, and here on BirdForum) that "Francolinus swainsonii grilli" was/is simly a typo in Avibase's lists of synonyms (originating in "Pternistis swainsoni gilli" ROBERTS 1932).

But, as always; don´t hesitate to prove otherwise!

Björn

PS. And thanks again, Martin, for helping me out in this matter! Your replies (not Laurent´s, sorry about that) made me go a bit further than I expected.
--

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back