• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

12x zoom: Sony versus Lumix (1 Viewer)

firstreesjohn

I'm considering the merits of the fairly new Sony H5 against the Panasonic FZ7.

Can anyone direct me further, please? Both seem to have things going for them, but I'd appreciate people with personal experience of either to help me make up my mind.

Thanks.

[I'm considering the merits of the fairly new Sony H5 against the Panasonic FZ7.

Can anyone direct me further, please? Both seem to have things going for them, but I'd appreciate people with personal experience of either to help me make up my mind.

Thanks]

I bought the FZ7 a couple of months ago and used it extensively first time on a hol trip to Tanzania. Generally very pleased with the results. I think they are both good cameras though and it comes down to personal preference when trying them. You are likely to be happy whichever you choose.

The thing which ultimately eliminated the H5 for me was that it uses an expensive kind of memory card that I haven't used before. I already have SD cards, and the Sony doesn't use them. Don't know if that's a consideration for you. I chose the FZ7 because it uses SD cards, it's lighter and cheaper than the S3, and I liked the controls and LCD. In the end the most important thing is how well you feel you work with the tool.

Last edited:
firstreesjohn said:
... the Panasonic FZ7...
This will be long, but I sense you're looking for "details."

After weeks of research, I purchased the FZ7 back in May. The manual, while informative, is anything but an easy read, so I went searching for a plain-English tutor. One book schooled me, quickly, delightfully and painlessly: PCPhoto Digital Zoom Camera Handbook, by Rob Sheppard (a Lark Photography Book). List = $19.95. That buddy is soooo informative that it ought to come with every advanced digicam purchase! It only took me a day or two to become completely comfortable with the FZ7 controls. Super convenient, in the way the controls are laid out, so you can tweak the exposure as desired, QUICKLY, in the field!

Actually, everything about this camera is convenient and qualitative. Leica makes killer lenses, and one graces the FZ7. The LCD is clear, so you can actually see the shot you're about to take ( prefer to use the viewfinder). If there's bright sun, I just turn my back to it so I can better view the display.

You can easily magnify the image in Playback Mode, to check for sharpness. You can also crop in camera, maneuvering to the precise part of the image desired, with the option to save or discard the original.

With the built-in stabilization, much more frequently than not, you'll be looking at magnificently razor sharp pics, full of natural color and detail--- even when cropped in/out camera.

The battery charger is a fold-out-- you can just pull open the plug (it's recessed into the charger body initially), insert battery, then insert the charger into the wall. No cord! You really can get close to 300 shots per charge, depending on LCD usage, etc. I bought a non-Panasonic 2d battery, which works fine.

The rapid shoot mode works great, and speed of card appears irrelevant (read: a cheap SD card will suffice). You can quickly change image quality (JPEG- large or small vs TIFF; 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 or .3mb jpeg) on the fly, via the same button which will also change ISO (auto, 80, 100, 200, 400) and white balance mode-- all one button access/changes. You can optionally use 800 or 1600 ISO, via High Sensitivity Mode, which is accessed via the rotating wheel (Mode Dial) atop the camera:
-- Auto
-- Program
-- Aperture Priority
-- Shutter Speed Priority
-- Manual
-- Macro
-- Movie
-- Scenery
---- portrait
---- soft skin
---- scenery
---- sports
---- night portrait
---- night scenery
---- panning
---- food
---- party
---- candle light
---- fireworks
---- starry sky
---- baby 1
---- baby 2
---- snow
---- high sensitivity
Thankfully, each of the above options includes a little "i". A click will tell you the basics per mode, in plain-English, to help you choose the best mode for the situation. Again, extremely easy and QUICK to make such selections.

I have multiple feeder stations in my backyard, with various water features. I typically sit near my sliding glass patio door, and shoot up a storm (using spot meter, so the glass doesn't interfere with focusing). I use raw alcohol and a squeegee to keep the glass super clean. After hearing a couple of thuds (no lingering harm, thank goodness), I grabbed some black construction paper from the dollar store, and created a few hanging hawk silhouettes. ( http://snipurl.com/vg21 (pdf file)). Pics look the same as if I were standing in the yard. I attribute that to the Leica lens itself, a marvel!

While the 12 zoom gives a reach, in practical terms, of 432mm, I was still seeing way too many specks-in-the-grass out in the field. That prompted purchase of the DMW-LT55, Pansonic's 1.7x teleconverter especially for the FZ7. If you use the Menu to turn on Teleconversion, when you turn on the camera with the tc attached, the system will auto-zoom to its new max for you-- quickly. ... You multiply 432mm x 1.7, yielding a new reach of 734mm. Out and about, you still may not get close enough to yield full-frame pics, but the beauty of the FZ7 is that you can crop like mad, and still have an excellent picture, with one caveat.

FZ7 has 100, 200, & 400 ISO; and, 800 and 1600 in High Sensitivity Mode. The 100 and 200 pics are great out-da-box, and depending on lighting, I can live with the vast majority of 1600 and 3200 shots-- a little soft, but at least I got the shot. But that 400 ISO is, well, pityful, IF used in low light without flash or underexposed, then cropped. The noise is so bad that even noise reduction apps may not salvage the pic. The trick here is to restrict usage of 400 ISO to good light scenarios, where you're using it solely to get higher shutter speed (freeze flying/moving birds, withOUT blur). If you see some noise post crop, Noise Ninja or one of its competitors will definitely help. Incidentally, even the low-light "ugh!" 400 ISO pics are good enough to assist bird i.d.'s--- took one of a hawk high and far away in a neighbor's tree, out my rain-stained Living Room window on a miserably cloudy day. Cropped, I could make out enough of the back and tail to pinpoint it-- RedTailed hawk, a life bird for me (yeaaa!!)

Note: that noise issue is common among all digicams... I later bought a Minolta 5D dSLR, focused on killing noise issues. It did, but to get anywhere near the reach of the FZ7, for shooting bird pics, I'd have to invest another grand in a quality/fast zoom lens, minimum.The shutter click was so loud it chased away the birds; with the FZ7, I can turn off the shutter sound. The dSLR controls weren't as convenient at the FZ7. And, with the exception of high ISO/low-light pics, there wasn't enough of a diff to rationalize the $$$ involved. Short version: I returned it for a full refund.

Bottom-line: I truly appreciate the FZ7, more so now than ever. If I had to do all over it again, I'd change one thing: I'd have purchased it the minute it hit the streets!

Tip for US folks: There's a $19 CaseLogic bag at Walmart's which fits beautifully, even with teleconverter attached. The width of the bag is roughly 10 1/2 inches, exclusive of side pockets. Padded. Small lens size pocket on both sides (i.e., circular polarizer). Long tri-compartment pocket on the back-- good for field book and narrow items. Medium size pocket on front, good for compact binoculars. Nicely padded wide shoulder strap. Good padded top carry-it mechanism as well. Black, with blue trim.

Last edited:
I've now got the stunning Lumix FZ-50

Thanks. I've only just seen this, but it's helped me make up my mind in retrospect!

The 12x zoom is impressive enough at ISO 100 with 10 megapixels . . BUT with the DMW-LT55 1.7x teleconverter, it is amazing.

The tele gives you 21.4x (optical) at 10 megapixels- stunning.

To go into partial techno-speak: there is something called (internal) optical extended zoom. This gives 21.4x at 3 megapixels (image cropped in-camera). Results quite good to good. Then, with the tele, you get over 36x at 3 megapixels. This can be quite good to better.

Obviously, support of some kind is highly desirable.

This set-up is just incredible.

firstreesjohn said:
To go into partial techno-speak: there is something called (internal) optical extended zoom. This gives 21.4x at 3 megapixels (image cropped in-camera). Results quite good to good.
This sounds a lot like digital zoom (not optical zoom). Or am I misunderstanding?

RAH said:
This sounds a lot like digital zoom (not optical zoom). Or am I misunderstanding?
No, it is not digital zoom. Mechanically, within the menu, there is a specific "digital zoom" option, which is always turned off on my camera. There are also options for getting to another option, that exquisite extended optical zoom business, within the menu system. This extended optical zoom can also be accessed, much quicker, via the function button.

There are two "resolution" options within the menu. One is the regular one you'd expect to see-- high jpeg vs compressed jpeg vs RAW. The other is a list, listing 10mp resolution down to, I think, 2mp. Example listings relevant here = 5mEZ and 3mEZ. The EZ = extended (optical) zoom. Dropping down to 5mp yields 17x OPTICAL zoom; dropping down to 3megapixels yields 21.4x OPTICAL zoom. No software gimmick here. Rather, the camera hones in on the central 3mp or 5mp area, & crops out the sides, thus yielding the extended OPTICAL zoom. Thru the lens, you actually see that higher zoom-- hey, makes me weak at the knees and downright giddy, esp with the LT55's 1.7x attached, not to mention the built-in Leica lens! I can certainly understand why folks get confused with all this-- it seems to be a unique Panasonic/Lumix feature, so those who have not seen it in action tend to assume, wrongly, "digital".

Quick note: The FZ7 (my prior digicam) also has an extended optical zoom feature, but since it has only 6megapixels to start, there's not much play for dropping down to lower megapixel resolutions. Follow? (Memory: you can get 17x optical with the FZ7 with 2mp). THAT's why I was so excited when I read about the FZ50's "10 megapixel" sensor. The FZ7 introduced me to that drop-the-mp-resolution business for increased optical zoom. I figured the FZ50 would blow my mind, since 10mp offers more options for dropping down to still respectable mp resolutions. Once in hand, that was the FIRST thing I tested, and then I knew I had my bingo.

Well, I don't mean to be argumentative, but can you explain to me the difference with what you just described and if you took the same picture at full 10MP resolution and then using an image editor honed in on the central 3mp or 5mp area, & cropped out the sides.

The only difference that I can see is that while taking the picture you may see the full-blown image in the viewfinder, so in that sense it is nice, but the results seem to me the same.

How about seeing some of the photos that have been taken with this camera so forum members can have a good look to assess if it is really worthwhile and a cheaper but acceptable alternative to a dslr with a big lens.

RAH said:

"EZ" is a fancy (and a bit misleading) name for cropping. It does not increase resolution beyond the regular "12x". I always use my FZ7 at full 6MP - you never know when that bird is going to hop to the edge of the frame at any moment. However, one nice use for the EZ would be if you need to blow up the central area of the image to see something that's too small and unresolved on the screen, or to check focus better than the LCD/viewfinder allows. (It may also increase the burst mode speed a bit?)

Last edited:
Yup, I guess they should call it "digital crop". Although the zoomed-in view might come in handy occasionally, generally I think why not take the full picture and deal with the cropping later, as you say.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back