• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best birding location for August (1 Viewer)

dominic.patagonia

Not sure I'm dropping this in the right thread, but i have a couple of weeks to take off in August and wondering where to go for some gentle birding (need to relax a little too as recovering from surgery). The stipulations - (couldn't be that simple right!);) I'd like to get out of the USA.

I'd also like some lifers, which means Costa Rica and Panama are probably ruled out.

Am toying with Jalisco and Colima, Mexico. Also possibly Baja, MX but again I think August isn't the ideal time.

Don't want to fly too far or have to drive too far (ruled out Colombia based on driving distances even though I'd love to go). Back surgery meant sitting in car for long periods is tough / as is driving on bad roads. Also can't hike / walk too far.

I have very little experience in the Caribean islands but am guessing august isn't a good time? Is there any exception to this rule? Some island birding would be nice.

In fact, globally, August seems about the worst month for birding, bar looking for shorebirds on some northern staging grounds! And a few out of the way places like New Guineau.

Does anyone have any great suggestions for August birding, with easy logistics and a less than 6 or 7 hour flight out of NYC area?

Many thanks!!

PS, In the spirit of this thread- welcome ideas from other birders who are taking trips this august if you want to meet up!

August is good migration time in Northern Europe. Estonia is bit longer flight than 6-7 hours from NYC, but driving distances locally are very short. Scoter, duck and wader migration is in full swing at that time. Weather is still nice. Let me know when you decide to come :D

Several places can be good in August. In particular the South Pacific, Southern/Eastern Africa, Indonesia and as you mentioned Colombia but also Peru, the Guyana's northern Argentina. In your particular situation 2 places come to mind Brazil and Ecuador both good this time of year and both have lodges with excellent feeders nor to far from the airport. Ecuador in particular would be good with lodges within 1.5-2 hrs of the airport on paved good roads on both sides of the Andes.

As far as the Caribbean goes August is not the optimal time to go but with that being said you could probably see everything on any of the islands except possibly Cuba that you could see during the "high" birding season. I've birding the DR and Lesser Antilles this time of year with no problems seeing everything. Just make sure no Hurricanes are forcast.

So did you find a trip. I'm looking to go somewhere in Central America or other with (an)other birder(s).

Any time late August through Mid Nov .
Cheers
Colin

thanks for all the comments. in the end i decided to stay local and take some shorter trips pn the east coast, but if not ecuador would have been the choice. I did a short trip to turks and caicos which was nice - picked up the endemic subspp. and about ten new lifers.
Thanks to DCW i read up a lot on ecuador, and it definitely looks good. i birded Peru and Boivia (a lot) when i was younger and ecaudor sounds like it might offer a similar experience without quite so much physical effort!
Colin, next year?

Several places can be good in August. In particular the South Pacific, Southern/Eastern Africa, Indonesia and as you mentioned Colombia but also Peru, the Guyana's northern Argentina. In your particular situation 2 places come to mind Brazil and Ecuador both good this time of year and both have lodges with excellent feeders nor to far from the airport. Ecuador in particular would be good with lodges within 1.5-2 hrs of the airport on paved good roads on both sides of the Andes.

It's a good thread discussion, as August can be tricky. A friend and I went to Slovenia in Central Europe last August. It's a small country about the size of Wales, and shares borders with Italy, Croatia, Austria and Hungary, so has a lot of diversity of landscapes and wildlife. Was superb for mountain birds (rock bunting, rock partridge, alpine accentor, griffon vulture, nutcracker, firecrest, alpine swift, alpine chough, crag martin), agricultural bird (red backed shrike, golden oriole, hobby, bee-eater), and wetland/agricultural birds (black winged stilt, purple heron, squacco heron, little bittern, pygmy cormorant). Warm weather, although sometimes too hot.

Hi Dominic

I have done a lot of research into birding in August myself and you're right, globally it is a terrible month. The only really great spots I have been able to identify with good whether and lots of birds are southern Brazil (near Rio), the island of Java in Indonesia and Ghana. For you, the lodge at REGUA near Rio might be ideal. It is set up for birders. It's incredibly convenient. No driving involved. Not expensive. And full of birds. I saw more than 180 life birds in a week there last year. Really excellent guides and nice people there too.

All the best

Andrew

It's fine for lots of South America, Malaysia and Indonesia. Southern Africa is missing summer visitors but the birding is still excellent, the temperatures very pleasant and it's the best time of year for mammal watching.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back