• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hornet info (1 Viewer)

Pete007

I was pleased recently to see a splendid looking Hornet in the garden and something I don't see too often.
However I am lucky this year to have quite good numbers of Bees (especially Bumble Bees ) & Hoverflies visiting the garden encouraged by the wild flowers I planted specifically to attract them.
Whilst I enjoyed the view of the Hornet I have noticed it now several times and wonder what impact this may have on the other Bees in the garden.
My understanding is they predate Honey Bees etc and now wonder if it might have a detrimental impact on the other Bees I am trying to encourage in the garden.
I'm not sure if Hornets prey on Bumble Bees for example but certainly do not relish the thought of all the Bees being killed off by what can on all accounts be
quite a voracious killer of smaller Bees at least.
Any feedback or information on Hornets therefore much appreciated.

I assume this is our native Hornet, Vespa crabro? Like all social wasps they are predators and will be catching insects for the larvae. They won't be specifically targeting bees and will take a wide range of insects. As a native this is part of a healthy ecosystem. Trying to exclude them is like trying to prevent a Sparrowhawk coming to take your garden birds.

I think your worries are fuelled by the media alarm over the arrival of invasive Asian Hornets which can take a toll on Honeybee hives.

Enjoy your Hornets + your bees!

Just to confirm it was indeed it was a the native UK Hornet.
I certainly wouldn't try to exclude it as they are certainly one spectacular insect that I'd really love to photograph although suspect this is unlikely.
I was more curious as to wether they might even take on a Bubble Bee more than anything else and yes what effect it could have .Would be a shame but as you rightly say thats nature if so.

I assume this is our native Hornet, Vespa crabro? Like all social wasps they are predators and will be catching insects for the larvae. They won't be specifically targeting bees and will take a wide range of insects. As a native this is part of a healthy ecosystem. Trying to exclude them is like trying to prevent a Sparrowhawk coming to take your garden birds.

I think your worries are fuelled by the media alarm over the arrival of invasive Asian Hornets which can take a toll on Honeybee hives.

Enjoy your Hornets + your bees!

Last edited:
they are certainly one spectacular insect that I'd really love to photograph although suspect this is unlikely.

Had them coming to my moth-trap on half-a-dozen or more occasions in the south-west last summer, which led to one or two sharp intakes of breath when encountering them first thing in the morning. Then I found out they weren't all that aggressive.

Attachments

• hornet.jpg
    hornet.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 77
Certainly very impressive to see and the one in the garden is still visiting most days and appears to be looking for prey as it rarely even lands.
Think I'd probably jump if I found one in a Moth trap first thing - lol

Had them coming to my moth-trap on half-a-dozen or more occasions in the south-west last summer, which led to one or two sharp intakes of breath when encountering them first thing in the morning. Then I found out they weren't all that aggressive.

Certainly very impressive to see and the one in the garden is still visiting most days and appears to be looking for prey as it rarely even lands.
Think I'd probably jump if I found one in a Moth trap first thing - lol

We had several (+ a couple dead) in a moth trap a couple of weeks back but they were quite docile. Going tomorrow for another mothing session so maybe more.

Hopefully they won't munch too many moths!

I get the odd one or two in my moth trap, which I find interesting as although they are quite common locally I've never noticed them around the garden in daylight. They are no trouble at all, I generally just pick them up on a bit of card and put them down at the far end of the garden.

John

Two days ago I heard that a local builder, who has done a lot of work in our village, just died from a single hornet sting! I don't know which species of hornet was involved, both the native and Asian are common in our area. My first thought was that he may have had an allergic reaction to the sting but I'm wondering if the Asian Hornet may have a more potent sting? In either case I'll be a little more cautious around them in future.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back