• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Tripod Adapter - worth buying? (1 Viewer)

Vespobuteo

made a couple of my own,
but perhaps a commercial would be better and safer...

The Swarovski UTA Universal Tripod Adapter looks light and convenient,
but it seems not to be available any more?

is it good?

is there any better?
Don't want any heavy stuff, simple and light is my demands,
and not too expensive,

I have used this one for a Nikon 12x50 SE and now for a Swarovski 15x56. I don't bother with the rubber band, just put the bins on top. A bit more risky, but a lot faster to take the bins off and use them handheld if you want to take a quick look in another direction. Lightweight, simple and not very expensive:

https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=70

Every time I see these Berlebach binocular adapter I think it would not be that hard to make one. I never made one though.;)

If you make one, the Zeiss seems ergonomically better. My roof shaped Berlebach takes roofs easily, but I have difficulties with Papilio and Canon 12x36, which are flat underneath. They would stay better on the curved Zeiss. It takes middle giants too and eccentricity might help with tracking and focusing.

But it costs 220$!!!

Where is the emoticon that hits its head on a wall?

thank you guys for your advice,
will check these out,
the berlebach looks nice and simple,
but is it strong enough?
(the rubber part, and stapling in wood, hmm, could wear out with time I guess)

I put a 1/4-20 "T-Nut" from the hardware store through the middle of
a 4x6" plywood rectangle. I can bungee the binoculars on, but most of the
time just holding them lightly onto the 'plank' works great. You can go
from tripod to handheld and back again in a second.

German Berlebach is for wooden tripods what Zeiss is for optics.
The adapter is simple and functional. Rubber might dry with time, but I'm not sure it's rubber, it might be some polymer (feels like silicon and doesn't smell rubber).
If it is you may replace it or buy a new one at this earthy price.

German Berlebach is for wooden tripods what Zeiss is for optics.

Hello kkokkolis,

Does anyone else make relatively small wooden tripods? In the States, one can buy large wooden tripods made for surveyors, but I think Berlebach has a huge market share of smaller ones.

I agree that they make a very good product. Wood is relatively light and absorbs vibration. However, I use the Leica and the Nikon adapters.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Last edited:
Hello kkokkolis,

Does anyone else make relatively small wooden tripods? In the States, one can buy large wooden tripods made for surveyors, but I think Berlebach has a huge market share of smaller ones.

I agree that they make a very good product. Wood is relatively light and absorbs vibration. However, I use the Leica and the Nikon adapters.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

there is a small Swedish wooden tripod maker:

http://www.stabil.nu/tripods/?lang=en

I only know Berlebach and the local amateur astronomer who happens to be a carpenter and can make a wooden tripod for my Portamount.

Back in November of 2013, I started a thread on the Bino-Fix. It generated a few responses which basically have been repeated here. Some of the vendors selling the Bino-Fix are obviously "scalpers", or gougers. One price quoted is $374, which is simply absurd. Duplicating it is probably beyond the ability of amateur craftsmen since it employs complex metal pieces either cast or welded together.

BTWIMB, the Bino-Fix, IM, is the most universal,versatile, commercially made tripod adaptor I have run across. But for my needs, I made a subtle and inexpensive adjustment on the neoprene strap to make it easier to use.

The pistol grip or "joy stick" made by Bogen (#3265) works beautifully. None of this twisting stick jabbing one in the face or throat or awkwardly finding what to loosen or tighten. I have even strapped in spotting scopes and they stayed put for short time use just to see if it would work. But of course the appropriate plate attached to the spotting scope base is more secure and preferable.

John

I have a Vortex Optics that is very light and stable. The bad thing is that it takes a little time to install and it doesn't happen very quickly. Maybe I will want to replace it with a bino tripod adapter easier to install.

Bog Pod universal bino adaptor works for every bino on the planet.

I have both the Bog Bod and the Berlebach, the Bog Pod works well with
roofs but not very well with porros, its shape is not wide enough in the saddles.

The Berlebach works with everything, the one on the left is a Docter Noblilem
15x60, a wide body binocular.

Both are very good.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN1087.JPG
    DSCN1087.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 108
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back