• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Warwickshire (1 Viewer)

7/10/11 Hartshill Hayes CP 7:19-10:35 Good Meadow Pipit passage today with over South 27, SW 189, W26 Total 242 birds. Usually over South but NW winds have had an effect on their migration 7 Swallow and 2 House Martin feeding here all day and a Hobby seen this morning.

Regards, John

Last edited:
9/10/11 Baddesley old pit site (now carboot site) 6:31 Redwing over calling before dawn, 9:12 2 Redwing NW and later nice to see a larger group consitsting of 28 birds heading NW.
Hartshill Hayes picnic area 4 Swallow and 2 House Martin.

Regards, John

13/10/11 Hartshill Hayes CP Over 520 Fieldfare, 717 Redwing, 93 Skylark, 6 Crossbill.
Full details on Trektellen (if asterix present hover over bird name to find direction other than default)

Regards, John

Spent 2 hours watching for visible migrants this morning - 07:00 to 09:00. I
watched from Burton Dasset Hills - Harts Hill SP398518, which is 199 m asl and is the highest point
there. Conditions weren't as good as the last few days seem to have been but got some stuff through. Cool and clear with a low mist/fog, though clear up the hill. This made veiwing quite easy. Cloud was 0 octas ending up at 5 octas by 09:00. Wind was a maximum of 5 beaufort scale - SSW ending up as WSW.
Birds passed very wide over the hill and I missed / chose not to try to count it
all, concentrating on what came reasonably close.

Lesser Redpoll - 2 (first two birds presumably roosted in the wood there)
Redwing - 190 (largest flock 32, most less than 10)
Starling - 31
Linnet - 13 (with an additional 40+ local birds or migrants having a break)
Meadow pipit - 12
Fieldfare - 40 (one flock)
Brambling - up to 6 (at least 3 but 4 of my 6 registrations may have been the
same bird hanging around)
Chaffinch - 30+
? Crossbill - 3 ? (heard a loud sharp 'gyp gyp' call and saw three large finches
go over but still cautionary over calling them and not Redpolls)
Pied wag - 6 + obvious migrants but hard to tell with the local birds
Skylark - 24 (all after 08:00)
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Swallow - 5
Goldfinch - 2
Finch sp. - 66 + just couldn't ID them all! I think most were Chaffinches though
Thrush sp. - 130 + as above - mix of Fieldfares and Redwings
Wood Pigeons - not counted but well over 200

Yellowhammer - over 40 but presumably these are local birds not migrants?

Richard Mays (http://onemanandhispond.blogspot.com/) had a possible Twite over.

Down in the valley towards Farnborough I could hear Sparrows (Tree?) but
couldn't see them.

Gareth

Last edited:
Today: 2 x Red Kite over fields between Clifton-Upon-Dunsmore and Brownsover, Rugby. Last Friday there were five over Buckby Wharf, just over the Northants border.

26/10/11 migration watch 7:49-10:15 Oldbury farm, Mancetter Quarry a reduced Starling count today 209 over, a movement of Skylark noted 101 over. Male Stonechat flew into a hedge near the farm, Merlin landed in trees on the East side of the quarry and later in the day at Hartshill a fem/imm Merlin attacked a passerine group.

Regards, John

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back