• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sea Bird, Portland Bill, UK (1 Viewer)

Barawic

Birder
OK, I'll confess that I'm not an expert on sea birds. I was down at Portland Bill 30 June 2012 and saw a sea bird I can't identify.

It reminded me of a Gannet in the thin long wings and the body was bright white. However the topside of the wings were completely black. This also went from wing to wing across the top of the body.

In that respect it was like a Greater Black Back Gull.

It was a very windy day and this bird would take a few wing beats, about six or seven, and then glide off to one side for a distance.

I did not pick up any yellow on the bird. If it was a juvenile Gannet I would have expected a patchier colouring. On this bird the colouring was crisp.

I also got the impression that it was at least the size of a Gannet.

Basically I've no idea what it could have been and the wind was so strong I could not make out fine details of it's head.

Thanks,
Andy

sounds like Juvenile Gannet still, they could have almost solid black wings and the flight you describe sounds like Gannet too.

Were you thinking of the ''non-default'' Black-browed albatross? As your description doesn't rule this out!

cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back