• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (12 Viewers)

Saturday 5th July 3:45-7:15pm

FLASHES
5 LRP (incl at least 2 fledged juvs), 1 Snipe, 17 Curlew, 6 Lapwing, 22 adult + 14 juv Avocets plus latest brood of 2 on the far shore, 2 Common Sandpiper (incl colour-ringed individual), at least 10 Green Sand (difficult to count as birds kept disappearing to the third Flash), 2 Oystercatcher, 20 Coot, 11 Moorhen, 90 Mallard, 1 Teal, 11 Tufted Duck, 2 Shelduck increasing to 5 later, Water Rail calling from reedbed in front of oak tree, several Skylarks singing, Garden Warbler in larches near steps.

SAILING POOL
35 Mallard, 3 Coot with broods, 2 adult + 3 juv GC Grebe

MOORS POOL
1 Cormorant, 1 Grey Heron, 2 ad Mute Swan + 6 cygnets, 22 Canada Geese, 3 Shelduck (later at the Flashes), 1 Teal, 2 adult Shoveler (female and unattached male) plus 10 young - Paul Anthony reports that a BHG tangled with the ducklings), 105 Mallard, c25 Tufted Duck with a min of 10 broods, 1 GC Grebe, c80 Coot with many young, 11 Moorhen (incl a fresh brood of 2 young in Amy's Marsh), 5 Lapwing (incl at least one jiv), 6 Oystercatcher (2 adults with 2 fledged young plus second part of adults feeding young on the Broadmeadow Pool island), 12+ Common Terns - chicks were very lethargic in the warmth of the afternoon but I saw at least one in each raft whilst Craig R had at least one on the island from the West Hide, Paul A reported a juv Cetti's Warbler in front of the East Hide.

However I have saved the best until last - Little Grebe. Careful checking and re-checking suggests there are 4 broods on the Moors Pool, all of a small enough size to have been raised here rather than flown in from other sites:

Broadmeadow Pool - 1 adult + 2 young
South West Marsh - 2 adults + at least 1 young (small)
North End (1) - 2 adults + 2 young
North End (2) - 1 adult + 1 young
Also a lone adult in Amy's Marsh (part of the Broadmeadow family?)

Late news of a Little Egret roosting in trees at the north end of the Moors Pool on the 3rd

This morning Dave J reports 1 Black-tailed Godwit, 38 Avocet, 8 Green Sandpiper and 3 Common Sandpiper at the Flashes.

Dave also had a brood of 17 tufted.

Great report from yesterday phil. The terns were really difficult to work out which were sitting on the main shingle island. There were 6 pairs and a new bird sitting on the top in the SE corner in from the other one that is on the edge. But I think casual viewing will not reveal it.B :)

Yes Petet. Mind you I was grilling the terns on the shingle island for an hour before I saw them and another sitting bird on the left interior.B :)

It took me about two hours before I saw any signs of chick movement this morning among the terns on the Main Shingle Island. They were only visible from the West Hide since the parent seems to have pushed them down into the vegetation. As with the raft chicks there doesn't seem to be much feeding going on. Incidentally the raft birds were all present and correct.

The Shovelers made their usual sail-by into and out of Amy's Marsh. Now that they are larger they are adopting looser formations. There were also broods of young Tufted, Mallards and Moorhens but I missed any Little Grebes.

Peter

We stopped in at Upton today, and I must say I was very impressed. We counted 11 Green sand and 3 Common sand, and it was great to see that the avocets have done well - better than some popular reserves on the Norfolk coast! Along that theme I was slightly dismayed to see that all Wildlife Trust members were allowed free entry except those from the fine county - any reason?
I'll certainly be checking in again once the return wader passage hots up, not suprised that it has pulled in some cracking birds in the past. Is it true that the flashes are brackish?
Cheers.

Yes the water is brackish.....and Norfolk only allow people into their reserves if you join their Trust...everyone else is not so elitist and all can go into each others trust reserves.
Not sure if we make Norfolk members join or pay on the day though.

Keith :t:

I didn't know that, but then again being a NWT member from the fine county I suppose I wouldn't. That is pretty poor indeed. Norfolk has great reserves, but my last 4-5 visits to Cley have been less exciting than my first visit to Upton. A question of perspective I suppose!

Upton being good is down to many years of strategic work put in by ALL the volunteers...most who are the main posters on here....not me though.:eek!:

Yes the permit thingie is actually going against the Norfolk members as they need many permits to get around the country whereas everyone else needs one and then a Norfolk one.
Keith :t:

Today 15.00-18.10

I spent about 90 minutes at the Moors Pools. Spent the time trying to make sense of the Tufted broods as they do seem to mingle at times. My final thoughts were broods of 6:8:10:5:11:2. The first two seems to spend quite a bit of time combined and the last seem to be a little more advanced than the others and are in Amy's. I finally managed to see the brood of Shovelers with all ten still intact. The Mute Swans still have five cygnets. Little grebes were scarce this afternoon, I only saw one on Broadmeadow Pool. Re the Common Terns, the four chicks on the three rafts were still all OK, although not any feeding seen in 90 minutes. I didn't see any chicks on the island, but didn't go to the west hide. On the waders front there were 11 Lapwings, including one juvenile, one Oystercatcher (no sign of juveniles) and two Common Sandpipers. Three Shelducks were loafing on east island and a Kingfisher flew along the west shore. Sedge Warblers were visible and Reed Warblers were vocal, but not much else.

On the Sailing Pool I only noted two of the three GCG juveniles, although there had been some activity going on before I arrived. Down on the Flashes I counted 35 Avocets (25 adults and 10 juveniles) plus four chicks along the gulley and one on the 1st flash island with, hopefully, more to come. The two Common Sandpipers seemed to have re-located from the Moors Pool, there were only two LRPs, at least ten Green Sandpipers, nine Curlews, six Lapwings and two Oystercatchers. Nothing much happened during a couple of light showers other than 6+ House Martins, a Sand Martin and a Swift dropped down.

Not strictly true Keith. You don't have to join NWT, you can just buy a day permit. However, you are right Norfolk won't let anyone else in free, so no-one lets them in!

Rob

We stopped in at Upton today, and I must say I was very impressed. We counted 11 Green sand and 3 Common sand, and it was great to see that the avocets have done well - better than some popular reserves on the Norfolk coast! Along that theme I was slightly dismayed to see that all Wildlife Trust members were allowed free entry except those from the fine county - any reason?
I'll certainly be checking in again once the return wader passage hots up, not suprised that it has pulled in some cracking birds in the past. Is it true that the flashes are brackish?
Cheers.

The Norfolk thing is due to having to buy a permit for each visit to each reserve if visiting the county. This can be quite expensive over even a weekend trip, so I joined some years ago (although I now don't go to Norfolk as often as I used to). Not sure if any of the other county trusts charge NWT members and I believe it is only for Upton that a permit is required in Worcs.

Cheers

Cheers.

Hi Dan - great to hear you enjoyed for visit to Upton; we have raised around 110 Avocet chicks since they first started nesting in 2003

As Keith has alluded to there is a reciprocal arrangement between all the Wildlife Trusts except Norfolk, who charge visitors of other Trusts to visit the likes of Cley, Weeting, Holme etc. As a result other Trusts will now charge Norfolk members to visit those reserves which requires a permit fee. It would be great if Norfolk joined the fold and parity was restored :kiss:

Last edited:
I spent about 90 minutes at the Moors Pools. Spent the time trying to make sense of the Tufted broods as they do seem to mingle at times. My final thoughts were broods of 6:8:10:5:11:2. The first two seems to spend quite a bit of time combined and the last seem to be a little more advanced than the others and are in Amy's. I finally managed to see the brood of Shovelers with all ten still intact. The Mute Swans still have five cygnets. Little grebes were scarce this afternoon, I only saw one on Broadmeadow Pool. Re the Common Terns, the four chicks on the three rafts were still all OK, although not any feeding seen in 90 minutes. I didn't see any chicks on the island, but didn't go to the west hide. On the waders front there were 11 Lapwings, including one juvenile, one Oystercatcher (no sign of juveniles) and two Common Sandpipers. Three Shelducks were loafing on east island and a Kingfisher flew along the west shore. Sedge Warblers were visible and Reed Warblers were vocal, but not much else.

On the Sailing Pool I only noted two of the three GCG juveniles, although there had been some activity going on before I arrived. Down on the Flashes I counted 35 Avocets (25 adults and 10 juveniles) plus four chicks along the gulley and one on the 1st flash island with, hopefully, more to come. The two Common Sandpipers seemed to have re-located from the Moors Pool, there were only two LRPs, at least ten Green Sandpipers, nine Curlews, six Lapwings and two Oystercatchers. Nothing much happened during a couple of light showers other than 6+ House Martins, a Sand Martin and a Swift dropped down.

How many Avocet were still sitting Mike?

There had been six cygnets on the Moors so I wonder if one has been lost. Interesting your interpretation of the Tufted broods - yesterday there were at least four groups of three ducklings or less, each with a female. Were any of the Common Sand the ringed bird?

How many Avocet were still sitting Mike?

There had been six cygnets on the Moors so I wonder if one has been lost. Interesting your interpretation of the Tufted broods - yesterday there were at least four groups of three ducklings or less, each with a female. Were any of the Common Sand the ringed bird?

There would only be the one on 'pipe' island left sitting it has been sitting for 24 days. So should hatch any time. The chick hatched on 1st July was still sitting 4th but the chick had been lost. I think the pair had abandoned later on that date.

Mike how many terns were sitting. Some were very difficult to see.

Hi Dan - great to hear you enjoyed for visit to Upton; we have raised around 110 Avocet chicks since they first started nesting in 2013.

As Keith has alluded to there is a reciprocal arrangement between all the Wildlife Trusts except Norfolk, who charge visitors of other Trusts to visit the likes of Cley, Weeting, Holme etc. As a result other Trusts will now charge Norfolk members to visit those reserves which requires a permit fee. It would be great if Norfolk joined the fold and parity was restored :kiss:

I know they have been prolific but 110 since 2013 would be something else. Methinsk you mistyped 2003....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back