• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Future of HBW (1 Viewer)

So does one have to subscribe, or do they send announcements as before?
Robert, the leaflet doesn't give any specific price information, although it does state that the annual fee for HBW Alive will be "equivalent to a small fraction of the price of a single HBW volume".

Lynx assures that "IBC will continue to be open and free for everyone". So if IBC is continuously updated in step with HBW Alive, there should be free access to all changes in systematics, species and subspecies...

I think someone should tell the HBW contributers that the valid Latin name of the Sulphur-breasted parakeet is no more Aratinga pintoi but Aratinga maculata.

Last edited:
I think someone should tell the HBW contributers that the valid Latin name of the Sulphure-breasted parakeet is no more Aratinga pintoi but Aratinga maculata.

Melanie,
I am not sure how many people are actually fielding the recommendations of those correcting the photo identifications, and/or the taxonomy. At least, not for the moment. I would imagine that they have a team that will go through everything before they launch HBW Alive, which should be next month. In the past they have been rather lax in correcting things. You can sometimes contact the uploaders if you can find their e-mails. I still have a recommendation up there after about a month for the one image of the supposed Yucatan Poorwill. Still there. BTW, sulphur, not sulphure.

What's the betting that Melanie just touched the 'e' as she typed the 'r' - I keep doing that myself!
MJB

Absolutely possible. I always see mistakes because I have always been affected by transpositional dysgraphia (I have to pay attention that I get the letters in the right order). I have to proofread everything.

Answering me ane question...anyone paying instalments sees them run out with V16 and needs to order and pay for this new vol separately...job done...bring it on!

Special Volume

I dutifully placed my order. But although I'm looking forward to the avian classification and new species sections, I can't see me making much use of the global index. When looking up a family or species, it doesn't take much nous to select the relevant volume (with the help of the two graphic summary cards if necessary) and use the associated index – despite the poor index structure in volumes 1 to 5. And I'd need to upsize my desk to be able to use the global index and another volume simultaneously! It's a pity that Lynx isn't offering a slimline option, minus the extensive (several hundred pages?) index. I suppose it'll be useful for French, German and Spanish speaking readers.

Last edited:
I dutifully placed my order. But although I'm looking forward to the avian classification and new species sections, I can't see me making much use of the global index. When looking up a family or species, it doesn't take much nous to select the relevant volume (with the help of the two graphic summary cards if necessary) and use the associated index – despite the poor index structure in volumes 1 to 5. And I'd need to upsize my desk to be able to use the global index and another volume simultaneously! It's a pity that Lynx isn't offering a slimline option, minus the extensive (several hundred pages?) index. I suppose it'll be useful for French, German and Spanish speaking readers.

Richard,
With the UK government pushing disabled people on benefits out of accommodation with 'spare rooms', you could rent additional library space and get a larger desk pretty cheaply - you would only have to make up the difference between the benefit cut and the original benefit level.
MJB
PS I speak as someone somewhat right of where I perceive the centre to be

.......... I can't see me making much use of the global index. ................

To me, that is the most important part. And I'm not saying this as a German speaking person. I'm more familiar with the English names. But I am not that much into systematics to always hit the wanted volume right away. However, I could very well do without the detailed descriptions of the new species. A shorter treatment like for the other ones would have my preference. So I guess they can't do it perfectly right for all of us.

... However, I could very well do without the detailed descriptions of the new species. ...
Robert, I agree with you on this. The inclusion of a number of original descriptions is being presented as a 'scoop' for HBW. But unless Lynx intends to quickly offer open access to these papers, I would prefer to see them published more accessibly in the usual (leaky!) journals.

Last edited:
Wait, so there are new species descriptions in this? how many? And yeah, seems and odd format, unless it is just taxonomic reorganization.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back