• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x42s lens (1 Viewer)

Binos89

Hello

I am new to this forum so this is my first post!

I have a pair of Leica 10x42s that my grandad gave to me the only thing being is that there are grey marks on both the front lens. I've inspected the marks and they seem to be on the outside.

Could anyone give me advice on how to remove these grey marks?

Many thanks!

Hi Binos89
You are in a lovely part of Scotland with great birds and flowers around you and the wonderful Glen Feshie nearby too.

Cleaning binos is a matter of care and patience. The first thing to do is to make sure there are no particles of dust or dirt on the lenses or hiding in the sides of the aperture the lenses are housed in. I use a soft lens brush and gently brush not only the lens but the sides of the aperture too and all while holding the binos as near to objective-downwards as possible so dislodged particles 'want' to fall away.

When this is done the next job is to wipe the lens with a microfibre lens cloth after breathing onto the lens to get a tiny bit of moisture on them. Don't press on hard and wipe with a circular motion. You might need to fold the cloth and/or use your finger tips and/or nails to get into the corners. Lets hope this removes the grey marks, but if it doesn't you should moisten part of the your cloth (its a good idea to have several and wash them clean regularly) with lens-cleaning fluid and then wipe the marks gently with it, finishing with breath and a clean cloth. This will remove all normal marks on lenses but if it doesn't you should contact East Coast Binocular Repairs http://binocular-repair.co.uk/ and speak to Gary who was employed by Leica (and then Zeiss) as their bino engineer.

I use Zeiss cleaning kits which come with cloth, brush and cleaning fluid but there are many good kits around so have a look on the internet to get what you need. Please don't try to do the cleaning with ordinary cloths and brushes.

Good luck

Lee

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back