• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New guy here (1 Viewer)

Waltmarkee

United States
I’m a brand new guy to this forum.

I’ve dabbled in bird watching and identification of birds off and on for probably 40 years.

Yesterday I found a Leica Wetzlar 6x24 binocular withe the original strap and soft brown leather case. I can’t see a mark on them. Appear to be prestige.

The limited amount of information I could find on them is they were made around 1964.

I paid $200 for them

I would much appreciate it if anyone would share any information they might now about them.

I will post a couple of pictures including one with the serial number.

I believe they are somewhat rare but I’m not sure if they are really sought after

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpeg
    IMG_0043.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0044.jpeg
    IMG_0044.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0045.jpeg
    IMG_0045.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0046.jpeg
    IMG_0046.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0047.jpeg
    IMG_0047.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
Hi Walt and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've moved your post to the Binocular forum, as I think they're more likely to be able to help you

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I’m a brand new guy to this forum.

I’ve dabbled in bird watching and identification of birds off and on for probably 40 years.

Yesterday I found a Leica Wetzlar 6x24 binocular withe the original strap and soft brown leather case. I can’t see a mark on them. Appear to be prestige.

The limited amount of information I could find on them is they were made around 1964.

I paid $200 for them

I would much appreciate it if anyone would share any information they might now about them.

I will post a couple of pictures including one with the serial number.

I believe they are somewhat rare but I’m not sure if they are really sought after
Lucky you! You have a classic glass.
These are super wise angle binoculars, highly prized by collectors and yours appear to be in great shape.
Afaik, the only complaint was that eye relief is very little, around 10mm, so glasses wearers have a hard time seeing the full field.
Do note they are not phase coated, so not as good optically as would be possible today, but the state of the art for their time.

Waltmarkee, post 1,
According to Gary Hawkins the 6x24 Trinovid was released in 1963, so the binocular you show could be from that year, or from 1964 as you mention in your post.
Gijs van Ginkel

There's been some discussion of this model over the years - for instance see eitanaltman 6x24 post. If you have one that is clean internally, and you don't need glasses/spectacles, and the birds are reasonably close, it should be great fun to use.

This model is (IIRC) quite desired because of the very wide field of view, but to get a more accurate idea of how much they could be worth, it might be best to check ebay. Have fun using it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back