• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warehouseexpress - Nikon High Grade offer (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
with the replacement of the Nikon HG with the HGL w/express have the following offer

8x32 £379
10x32 £399
8x42 £499
10x42 £499

strikes me that at these prices they are a bargain.

Last edited:
pduxon said:
with the replacement of the Nikon HG with the HGL w/express have the following offer

8x32 £379
10x32 £399
8x42 £499
10x42 £499

Just make sure you lot don't buy them all up in the next week. I'm away tomorrow so can't get delivery until the first week in November I just hope they have some left when I get back. :bounce:

Bill,
I am happy with their Nikon Sporters bought earlier in the year from them, will leave off from this offer, so that you should still be in with a chance!! Beside that I am still recovering financially from my more recent purchase of Canon IS 10X30 bins.

Thanks for the tip off pduxon. I have bought a pair of 8x32s at £379 (there's about £8 postage on top of that too). I was about to buy a pair probably anyway - your posting saved me a lot of money. Incidentally, their close focus for me is much better than the 2.5m Nikon quote. For me it's between 1.4 and 1.5m. Excellent for dragonflies which is one of my main reasons for buying them.

Thanks again.

What a saga, I rang on Friday morning the 23rd October at 9.05 to order a pair of 8x32's, but some of you lot had been on line overnight and bought up the lot. ;) I was having them delivered tomorrow having been away since that Friday and back home today. I pondered all day and decided to try a pair of 8x42 though I didn't fancy the weight so rang again at 5 pm on the 23rd, before I could ask about the 8x42's the bloke said that he had been trying to contact me all day and that they have sourced a fresh supply of them at the same price and would I wish to continue with my order. So I ordered two one for me and one for my wife. Today when we got home There was a a message on my answer phone which I interpreted as there being a problem so rang them only to be told that it was the original bloke trying to contact me to offer me the new supply. Then half an hour later a girl rang saying that so far the fresh supply has not arrived but they expect them in tomorrow and would delivery on Wednesday be OK.

What a company, they cannot be faulted.

It now says "last few", so having been thinking about it for several days I have just ordered a pair of 8 x 42s. Thanks for the information Pete - the last time I looked at one of these the retailer was asking somewhere around £1,000.

Already possessing, and loving, a pair of 8x32s, at that price (£399) I could not resist a pair of 10x32s. They arrived yesterday and I was not disappointed. They focus even closer than the 8s (1.7m v 1.9m), the apparent fov is bigger too (65 v 63) and, in a quick, side-by-side test, they are sharper across more of the field than the 8s. Brilliant!

I have tried several top-of-the-range 10x binos and they all went back because of the weight factor, but the combination of ergonomics, 715g and 10x is perfect (for me).

Chris

8s or 10s

zurtfox said:
Already possessing, and loving, a pair of 8x32s, at that price (£399) I could not resist a pair of 10x32s. They arrived yesterday and I was not disappointed. They focus even closer than the 8s (1.7m v 1.9m), the apparent fov is bigger too (65 v 63) and, in a quick, side-by-side test, they are sharper across more of the field than the 8s. Brilliant!

I have tried several top-of-the-range 10x binos and they all went back because of the weight factor, but the combination of ergonomics, 715g and 10x is perfect (for me).

Chris
Chris, how does the brightness compare to the 8x ?

pduxon said:

8x32 £379
10x32 £399
8x42 £499
10x42 £499

Indeed they are! I picked up a pair of 'old' Nikon 8x32 HG DCF from Warehouse Express last week for £379.

I gave them their first real field test on Sunday, having tried them many times at various shops and events in the past. They are fantastic, and all the praise that has been bestowed on them on this forum and elsewhere is true.

They actually felt better in my hand than I'd expected. I'd been a little concerned that the flared design near the eyepiece would force my hands into a position I was not comfortable with. (This is not so critical on the larger 8x42, 10x42). After 5 minutes of use, this concern evaporated. The focussing is smooth and fast but not overly so. I did not detect any CA.

Given they are only 20g heavier than the new HGLs, and nearly £300 cheaper this must be one of the great bargains available for binoculars of this quality.

David Chandler said:
Thanks for the tip off pduxon. I have bought a pair of 8x32s at £379 (there's about £8 postage on top of that too). I was about to buy a pair probably anyway - your posting saved me a lot of money. Incidentally, their close focus for me is much better than the 2.5m Nikon quote. For me it's between 1.4 and 1.5m. Excellent for dragonflies which is one of my main reasons for buying them.

Thanks again.

My new pair focus to about 1.5 metres too.

Rhion said:
It now says "last few", so having been thinking about it for several days I have just ordered a pair of 8 x 42s. Thanks for the information Pete - the last time I looked at one of these the retailer was asking somewhere around £1,000.

They have a new supply in now, my 8x32's arrived today, wonderful binoculars at a truly brilliant price.

elgin5050.fsnet said:
Chris, how does the brightness compare to the 8x ?

Henry,
Interestingly, I have been looking into the subject of image brightness, particularly in relation to the size of the object lens and the diameter of the eye pupil.

My findings were that as long as the eye's pupil diameter is equal to or less than the 3.2mm exit pupil of the 10x32s, there is no perceptible difference in brightness between the 10x32, 8x32 or even my 8.5x42 ELs, and object lens diameter makes no difference. As for variations attributable to lens and prism coatings, well, if there is any difference, it is marginal.

Once light conditions fall sufficiently for the eye's pupil to dilate to 4mm (8x32), the 10x were noticeably dimmer, and even more so at 5mm (8x40). Surprisingly, whilst watching tawny owls (pre-dawn) using an 80mm spotting scope with a 5mm exit pupil, in a side-by-side comparison, I found the ELs were (through a single ocular) brighter than the scope! This I DO attribute to high quality coatings making an appreciable difference.

To summarise, in normal daylight conditions, the 10x32 HG is as bright as the 8x32 HG. Sorry it took so long to reach that conclusion!

Chris

Thanks Chris ,I think i,ll be going for the 10s .most of my birding is in day light conditions fromthe car or kitchen, i also like the close focus on these too.thanks for reply...

elgin5050.fsnet said:
.... i also like the close focus on these too.thanks for reply...

Henry,

I forgot to mention that the close focus of the HGs exceeds their specifications. The 8x are 1.95m and the 10x are 1.8m, which makes the 10x such a good option for super-closeups. They also outperform their stated fov too, with the 10x spanning 116m @ 1km which gives an AFoV of 67 degrees.

Chris.

My pair of 8x42s were waiting when I got home from work last night, so this lunch break I bolted my sandwiches and then took the new HGs for a walk along the Menai Straits. I didn't manage to christen them with a rarity unfortunately, but the sharpness and brightness of the image was stunning. They were even better than I remembered from previous trial viewings.

Greetings!

I just posted a review of the new Premier LX models on another thread, I had a chance to evaluate two of them yesterday. My conclusion? Unless weight is a huge factor for you, buy the Venturer LX models while they are still available. The price is great and the optical quality is identical to the newer models.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Review

Atomic Chicken said:
Greetings!

I just posted a review of the new Premier LX models on another thread, I had a chance to evaluate two of them yesterday. My conclusion? Unless weight is a huge factor for you, buy the Venturer LX models while they are still available. The price is great and the optical quality is identical to the newer models.

Best wishes,
Bawko
Where abouts did you post this review? maybe I,m looking in wrong place..

Rhion said:
My pair of 8x42s were waiting when I got home from work last night, so this lunch break I bolted my sandwiches and then took the new HGs for a walk along the Menai Straits. I didn't manage to christen them with a rarity unfortunately, but the sharpness and brightness of the image was stunning. They were even better than I remembered from previous trial viewings.

I got my 8x32s yesterday. I nipped out my office to try them out and immediately I stepped out the door, a flock 0f 50 Waxwings flew over. A good start I thought. They ain't 'alf a nice pair of bins.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back