• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pinal Peak AZ, unknown (1 Viewer)

Lucy's Warbler was my first thought. Perhaps the only other possibility is Virginia's Warbler, but I don't think it's that. Lucy's should be in range for that location.

Poor photos can be more useful than good ones in establishing an id; in the present case a picture of the bird turning away could confirm Lucy's Warbler.

Couldn't agree more. I haven't thrown away a shot in 9 years.

Attachments

• JV8A0224 LUWA.jpg
    JV8A0224 LUWA.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 37
Well sometimes they can help and sometimes not. For me, this time, not. I won't make a guess at it.

Up in the pinyon juniper it’s likely a Virginia’s; down in the mesquite - a Lucy’s. The strong eye rings looks better for Virginia’s to me.
Andy

The branch it is on looks like walnut (presumably Arizona Walnut Juglans major here) - that would suggest a fairly low altitude site close to a stream or other water source.

The branch it is on looks like walnut (presumably Arizona Walnut Juglans major here) - that would suggest a fairly low altitude site close to a stream or other water source.

I could never have said it that succinctly. Location exactly.

Kratter, excellent on your observation, saw both species that day.

Sorry for the delay in response, forgot to set the email option.

Just FYI, had an excellent birding week with three lifers.... Flammulated Owl,
Dusky Flycatcher, and Slate-throated Redstart.

You guys are great, thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back