• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow near Sonoita, AZ -- could this be a Baird's? (2 Viewers)

Looks decent for Baird's Sparrow, with what I'd call a buffy/straw base color especially on the upper chest. Head looks maybe flat enough, too. Is there any chance you got more photos? Even a small difference in angle might help eliminate Savannah.

Looks decent for Baird's Sparrow, with what I'd call a buffy/straw base color especially on the upper chest. Head looks maybe flat enough, too. Is there any chance you got more photos? Even a small difference in angle might help eliminate Savannah.
Thanks for the input. All good points. Unfortunately all other pics are horribly out of focus. Agree with qwerty5 that the lack of any visible side-streaking is negative toward Savannah as well as the bill being larger than normal for that species. The specific necklace band of streaking and notched tail also helps eliminate several others. What also had me leaning towards Baird’s is the orange-brown on the head and if one looks closely at the rear of the left cheek there is at least one dark spot visible. My initial take leaves me leaning toward an immature Baird’s, but since I took the pic wanted opinions of others more experienced with this particular species in order to reign in any personal bias or “wishful birding.”

Any other observations/opinions - please post.

Thanks In advance for any input.

Thanks for the input. All good points. Unfortunately all other pics are horribly out of focus. Agree with qwerty5 that the lack of any visible side-streaking is negative toward Savannah as well as the bill being larger than normal for that species. The specific necklace band of streaking and notched tail also helps eliminate several others. What also had me leaning towards Baird’s is the orange-brown on the head and if one looks closely at the rear of the left cheek there is at least one dark spot visible. My initial take leaves me leaning toward an immature Baird’s, but since I took the pic wanted opinions of others more experienced with this particular species in order to reign in any personal bias or “wishful birding.”

Any other observations/opinions - please post.

Thanks In advance for any input.
How out of focus are we talking? Any other photos could potentially resolve the question. They’re probably worth posting unless they’re so out of focus you can’t even tell it’s a bird, for example….

Can you rule out a juv grasshopper sparrow from that pic? breast markings too strong? Looks very weak head/face pattern wise for Baird's or even Savannah.
Immature birds are always a challenge as all of the differentiating marks aren’t fully developed. I did consider a juv grasshopper but I’ve never seen any with that must breast streaking, and most (esp juvs that I’ve seen) are much buffier on the breast and down the flanks. Also, this bird has a fairly pink bill which is more common to Baird’s. Attached below is a stock pic of a juvenile Baird’s for comparison.

IMG_2143.jpeg

Heard from the local eBird experts overseeing that area of Arizona and they’ve concluded it is a juvenile Grasshopper Sparrow. Issue settled. Thanks everyone for your input and deepening my understanding of ID of sparrows. Made all changes to my eBird and life list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back