• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Squirrel in Colorado, US (1 Viewer)

orientaldkf

Hi all, saw this squirrel and I'm not too sure about the ID. Based on elimination of the squirrel species that can be found in Colorado the closest thing I found was the american red squirrel. However I was wondering if it could be a eastern grey squirrel given its relatively greyish coat (read that the eastern grey squirrel's range could extend into the western US although uncommmon?). Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• squirrel 1.jpg
    squirrel 1.jpg
    829.6 KB · Views: 111
  • squirrel 2.jpg
    squirrel 2.jpg
    946.1 KB · Views: 27
  • squirrel 3.jpg
    squirrel 3.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
My feeling is that this is American Red Squirrel. In Colorado/Wyoming we found them variable in appearance but the pale eye markings were consistent and the tail is proportionately shorter than an Eastern Grey's (and usually less bushy, it seemed to me).

John

My feeling is that this is American Red Squirrel. In Colorado/Wyoming we found them variable in appearance but the pale eye markings were consistent and the tail is proportionately shorter than an Eastern Grey's (and usually less bushy, it seemed to me).

John

Do American Reds, all lack the ear tufts John?

A

Thanks for the inputs! Just stumbled across this link (http://www.northernredsquirrels.org.uk/report-sightings/red-or-grey/) and now I'm leaning towards grey because of the halo effect they described for the tail. Would that be diagnostic? I do realise that the species in UK are different though so there might be some differences.

I have seen European and American Red Squirrels and both Eastern and Western Grey Squirrels, and your photos are of a greyish (grayish if you must) American Red Squirrel. The proportions of the animal - relatively short tail, combination of features indicating it is not large - and the eye markings as well as the fur colour being wrong for Eastern Grey - indicate this clearly.

The halo effect is a red herring: any squirrel tail will show it with backlighting.

Your pictures show American Red Squirrel. One of mine is attached for reference.

John

Attachments

• 2014_08_06 (3)_American_Red_Squirrel.JPG
    2014_08_06 (3)_American_Red_Squirrel.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 73
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back