• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Televid 65 & Sirui VA-5 head? (1 Viewer)

wdc

United States
Scope and tripod mavens, many of whom are familiar names from the binocular 'village' just a click away...

Thanks to the Leica kerfuffle with the retrovids, I was able to purchase a Televid 65 at a substantial discount, when one retailer sold off their Leica inventory at essentially cost in protest. I plan to use a Gitzo 1541 Mountaineer for starters, but need to buy a head for the scope. I currently use the Gitzo to mount a pochade box on for outdoor painting. I find it light, and plenty sturdy for that job.

The Manfrotto 500 AH, seems a bit more than necessary. Will the Sirui VA-5 do the job? Scope and eyepiece are 1.4 kilos. The spots I expect to use it are relatively flat, and I probably won't hike more than 2-3 miles at the most with this rig.

If I get scope, tripod, or mount 'fever', which could happen, I know I'll bulk up with the head and the mount, especially if I find myself looking at a larger optic. For now, its just making do with the tripod I have, and adding a mount.

I did read as many threads on this as I could find. Just wanted any affirmation, advice, or better options before I pull the trigger.

-Bill

If it's any help, i'm using the Sirui with a Swaro ATS65HD; i went through quite a few of the smaller heads before settling on this as the best i'd tried; very smooth and reliable.
Only small thing - if you're looking skywards in an extreme tilt, you may find the pan control difficult to adjust, as you can't get your fingers to it. Not really a problem, as it can probably be assumed you'll have already slackened it off. I don't think this is an issue exclusive to the Sirui either.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back