• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flight Theory - It's An Unsolved Science Dilemma (1 Viewer)

Seashore

Australia
Believe it or not there is no scientifically verifiable explanation of why wings produce lift and the smaller the critter the more baffling it becomes. I love watching pelicans fly. They don't know the theory of flight has gone west. Both main theories that have been around for years have problems and there is yet still no definitive answer, so be careful getting on the next aeroplane.

My pelicans can be seen on

https://www.ararelitus.com/birds-1

Believe it or not there is no scientifically verifiable explanation of why wings produce lift[/url]
I was listening to Radio 4 recently (can't remember which programme) and heard precisely this asserted by someone with scientific credentials. It came as a surprise! But clearly, as you say, the phenomenon remains unexplained.

Of course there is a scientific explanation of flight! There just isn't a simple scientific explanation of flight.

It is an example of my universal mantra "...but it is more complicated than that..."

Have a look here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF22LM8AbII

If you can come up with a general smooth solution to the Navier-Stokes Equation you can win yourself £1000000!

Hi Jonno52 & Mono, I enjoyed looking at the link and thanks for the replies; however there are scientific explanations for lots of things, but are they correct... you could look at the following from Scientific American that explains why the "mystery" is still a mystery... in their view... that is what science always gets down to in the end.

I was told by my aerodynamics instructor years ago that everything he was telling us was correct except the bumble bee can't fly.

A friend of mine suggested we ask a pelican... he or she should know!!!

The Scientific American article is basically a recapitulation of the video I linked to. The mystery element is just clickbait.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back