• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Merops (1 Viewer)

Peter Kovalik

Slovakia
I.A. Arif, H.A. Khan, M. Shobrak and J. Williams. Cytochrome c oxidase subunit I barcoding of the green bee-eater (Merops orientalis). Genet. Mol. Res. (2011).
PDF

Merops apiaster

Raül Ramos, Gang Song, Joan Navarro, Ruiying Zhang, Craig T. Symes, Manuela G. Forero, Fumin Lei. Population genetic structure and long-distance dispersal of a recently expanding migratory bird. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. Accepted Manuscript, Available online 16 March 2016.

[Abstract]

https://www.researchgate.net/public...es_Meropidae_with_its_Taxonomic_Consideration
'Genetic distance shows that the differences between M. v. viridis and M. v. americanus is higher than that M. v. viridis vs M. leschenaulti based on Cyt b gene. Morphology, geographical distribution and genetic data suggest the elevation of M. v. americanus to a full species Rufous-crowned Bee-eater M. americanus, supporting the latest taxonomic arrangement by IUCN'

There are no Bee-eaters in the Americas, I asked Des this Q in the Philippine species limits link.

A

I know! But presumably the person who named it in the first place must have (wrongly) thought so . . .

Looked it up, 'twas Statius Müller, in 1776.

Edit: here. Unfortunately, I'm struggling with the Gothic script!

Last edited:
Edit: here. Unfortunately, I'm struggling with the Gothic script!
The OCR program struggled too, it seems. ;)
BHL often have very poor OCRs for Gothic-type scripts. (They appear to run the same OCR programs on texts printed with Gothic and Roman [and sometimes Cyrillic] scripts; which, quite expectedly, doesn't work well. It's a bit pity, but Google books [e.g., here] are typically much better.)
FWIW:
63. Geschlecht. Bienenfresser.
Pica: Merops.
==================

8. Der Blaubauch. Merops americanus.

Der Rücken ist braun, der Bauch blau, die
Flügel sind seegrün, und der Schwanz hat
zwey sehr lange Ruderfedern. Der Aufenthalt
ist in Isle de France. Buffon.

Last edited:
Merops apiaster

Carneiro de Melo Moura, C., Bastian, H.-V., Bastian, A., Wang, E., Wang, X., and Michael Wink: APliocene origin, ice ages and postglacial population expansion have influenced a panmictic phylogeography of the European Bee-Eater Merops apiaster. Diversity, 11, 12; DOI: 10.3390/d11010012 (2019)

[pdf]

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back