• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdquest Evaluations (1 Viewer)

Mr Dinets, the naked Russian, seriously, this was his tip for success in the forest, walk naked.....anyone else tried it?

Yes. Funnily enough it was in Monteverde, Costa Rica. Walked out to the remote hides and got absolutely drenched in the process. Didn't have a change of clothes so, assuming there'd be no-one around to be offended, I went full nudist for two hours along a forest trail hoping the clothes would be bearable afterwards. I got a lifer - can't remember what it was - but I do remember seeing a Golden-winged Warbler. Luckily the attendant mozzies seemed content to stick below knee height.

John King did an hour's sponsored birdwatch clothes-free when we were at Long Point, Canada. Found himself a lifer, Western Kingbird, whilst in the process.

Mr Dinets, the naked Russian, seriously, this was his tip for success in the forest, walk naked.....anyone else tried it?

Yes. Funnily enough it was in Monteverde, Costa Rica. Walked out to the remote hides and got absolutely drenched in the process. Didn't have a change of clothes so, assuming there'd be no-one around to be offended, I went full nudist for two hours along a forest trail hoping the clothes would be bearable afterwards. I got a lifer - can't remember what it was - but I do remember seeing a Golden-winged Warbler. Luckily the attendant mozzies seemed content to stick below knee height.

John King did an hour's sponsored birdwatch clothes-free when we were at Long Point, Canada. Found himself a lifer, Western Kingbird, whilst in the process.

I never have birded "naked" (can't see me going there), however the closest to being "dis-robed" was many years ago being "caught short" in Whitbred Hollow, Beachy Head, East Sussex, on the path around the football pitch, a quick look fore and aft, resulted in a quick dive into the "thick" thorn scrub. At the seminal moment of ejection a "lifer" morphed, perhaps no more than a foot from my shoulder....the most stunning male "Fire"crest that I've ever laid eyes on! I've seen many since, but none to compare with that bird, a truly incongruous moment.

Fascinating how this thread has morphed into a discussion about 'lifers' seen whilst fully or partially disrobed...

I never have birded "naked" (can't see me going there), however the closest to being "dis-robed" was many years ago being "caught short" in Whitbred Hollow, Beachy Head, East Sussex, on the path around the football pitch, a quick look fore and aft, resulted in a quick dive into the "thick" thorn scrub. At the seminal moment of ejection a "lifer" morphed, perhaps no more than a foot from my shoulder....the most stunning male "Fire"crest that I've ever laid eyes on! I've seen many since, but none to compare with that bird, a truly incongruous moment.

'the seminal moment of ejection' conjures up not quite the picture you probably intended Ken.

Steve

Last edited:
Fascinating how this thread has morphed into a discussion about 'lifers' seen whilst fully or partially disrobed...

Quite - and I'm trying to disassociate Ken's vivid description from my mental file of the beloved Firecrest!

The OP must be enthralled... ;)

So when will be the first birdquest (or other tour) for nudists?
This reminds me of Olaf Danielson (aka the nude birder) having a big year birding naked. See his book Boobies, Peckers and Tits. So it can be done :)
Time to change the topic title, big blue?

I recall the finder of the first Yellow-billed Cuckoo to reach Scilly in the Autumn of 1985 stating that it was as well he was crouched behind some bushes taking care of business when it popped up in front of him because at that point he would have c**pped himself anyway.

John

I recall the finder of the first Yellow-billed Cuckoo to reach Scilly in the Autumn of 1985 stating that it was as well he was crouched behind some bushes taking care of business when it popped up in front of him because at that point he would have c**pped himself anyway.

John

Same happened to me in Borneo as I 'assumed the position' a pair of Crimson-headed Partridges walked in front of me.....

Another topic then, birds I've ticked whilst pooping.

My wife has an incredible list of stuff she's found when she's popped off in to the forest.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back