• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A short tale of the Red-footed Falcon and the ½ eaten pizza! (1 Viewer)

I would have everything crossed if I was you Stuart.
I was there 3 hrs tonight with no sign of her.
There were 5 Hen Harriers, a Male and Female Peregrine and a Kestrel about though.
So not all bad news.

The weather here is awful this morning, Stuart - especially 'on the tops'. Don't build your hopes up.

Hi Chris,

Had a night to sleep on it and all I could think about is 30 years down the line when I think back to the time I didn't get out to see that bird - hopefully I'll find some way to get there - if I do i'll keep you updated.

Luke

Hi Trevor and Chris,

I would be interested to know whether they are a species ever associated with falconers - the initial concensus here seems to be that it's a wild bird as there are 4 accepted Icelandic Reports it seems at least a good possibility and I for one am not going to argue with David Sibley ;)

I wouldn't have thought there would be much appeal for falconers, Luke. The birds are largely insectivorous.
Stop asking questions and get yourself down there!

Having just checked Luke's link to the MASSBIRD site,it seems that the bird has been ID'd as an Eastern, Falco amurensis,whereas the UK sightings are of Western Falco vespertinus.

Will be interesting to see if this is actually the case....once Luke has gone for it!

Hi all,
I see from that website that it was actually a Red-footed Falcon rather than an Amur Falcon, as is evident from the pics. Just a typo on their part!
Still need the species for Ireland....
Harry

Harry Hussey said:
Hi all,
I see from that website that it was actually a Red-footed Falcon rather than an Amur Falcon, as is evident from the pics. Just a typo on their part!
Still need the species for Ireland....
Harry
Thanks,Harry...that confused me,hence my comments in post # 50

Ok I'm going but the earliest I can be there is Sunday so keep fingers and any other stuff crossed for me that you can think of - Luke

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back